Talk

Advanced search

any positive stories about speech delay in 2.5yr olds? (no other health issues)

(12 Posts)
tinatutor Mon 13-Jul-09 11:21:53

My 2.5yr old has speech delay. Speech therapist said 3mths ago not to worry and it will just 'come' eventually.

He currently says about 30 words, none of them very clear. He has no other health problems.

People keep telling me 'not to worry' but I have NO IDEA how he's ever going to catch up with his peers when he is currently talking like a 12mth old.

Would love to hear some encouraging stories.

gorionine Mon 13-Jul-09 11:32:17

I was quite desperate to hear DD4 say "proper" words, she is 2 years 8 month now and her speach has really taken off but 3 month ago she just could not say muche more than essential words + she had letters she absolutely could not pronounce correctly L and S amongst others.

My advice is for you not to get too stresed up about it, talk to him as much as possible and encourage him every progress he makes even if it is very little at the time. HTH!

thirtysomething Mon 13-Jul-09 11:37:09

I have mixed experiences - both my kids were like this - DS now amazingly fluent, articulate, very good reading and writing ability etc...DD still lags behind her peers though her delay was due to glue ear....I think first children are notoriously slow and in most cases do suddenly catch up though....playgroup and lots of social contact (plus Bob the Builder wink) really helped with DS's speech development.

hannahsaunt Mon 13-Jul-09 11:43:45

30 words is so much more than speaking like a 12mo! Ds3 is 22mo and barely has 10 words. We are v relaxed as ds2 was like this as well; probably had 30 words at 2.5y. At 6.5 now he is exceedingly fluent. He had a number of 'impediments' as well and the lovely SALT at our church said that he would grow out of them as he matured; and he has.

MerlinsBeard Mon 13-Jul-09 11:45:09

did you post this twice? Or have i replied on teh wrong thread?!!

TotalChaos Mon 13-Jul-09 11:49:41

I was told DS has severe language delay at 3. He has improved a hell of a lot in 2 years, such that NHS SALT have discharged them. He's still not 100% as good as a typical kid his age, but manages fine in school with no formal support.

has SALT given you a good idea of work you can do with him between appointments?

Useful websites:-
www.ican.org.uk
www.hanen.org
www.teachmetotalk.com (got useful free video clips).

Useful books:-
Baby Talk by Sally Ward
You Make the Difference by Ayola Manolson
It Takes two to talk by Ayola Manolson
Parents' Guide to Speech and Language problems by Debbie Feit.

cyberseraphim Mon 13-Jul-09 12:15:22

Did the speech therapist give you a more detailed report or advice about his communication generally - not just verbal communication I mean. It's hard to tell from what you say whether she was being complacent or if she has covered all the other issues that might affect speech development.

charliesweb Mon 13-Jul-09 12:20:25

DS1 had a speech delay. His talking didn't really take off until he was at least 3yrs. He is now 6 and you would never know there was ever a delay. He was never interested in saying single words and seemed to wait until he could form complete sentences to talk! I was told to watch and make sure DS1 could understand me and communicate in his own way (for example, through gesture) which he could. It is hard though when all the other children seem to be chatting away. My friends DD is the same age and her speech was advanced which just made me feel worse about DS1, but he got there in the end and there is no difference between their speech now.

BlueKangerooWonders Mon 13-Jul-09 12:23:28

MoM - 2 threads, you n me are on t'other!

TotalChaos Mon 13-Jul-09 13:27:44

agree with cyber. If salt tested and was happy with his receptive language (understanding of language), and was happy with his non-verbal communication (use of pointing/gesturing etc to indicate what he wants etc)then that would explain a more relaxed attitude to his speech delay.

tinatutor Mon 13-Jul-09 18:34:54

i love mn!

thanks everyone so much (have posted this on both threads, no idea why it posted twice!)

You've all given me loads of reasurrance and I feel much, much better.

The SALT did assess my son when he was 2.3 and said she was very encouraged by the fact that he was using elaborate mimes and gestures to communicate, he could follow instructions and was very friendly, confident and affectionate. She said they were all reasurring signs that speech was just around the corner.

I've asked today to be referred for a hearing test, just to put my mind at ease really and so I know I've done everything I can to investigate.

thanks so much - i don't know what i'd do without mumsnet!

Judd Mon 13-Jul-09 18:39:03

DD didn't speak until she was 3 - her only word between 2.5 and 3 was "No" which came out in a little high-pitched warble ! we went to speech therapy with her and she really came on over the next 6 months. She also devised hand signals for all her important words:- orange juice, cup of tea, rewind the video, ants. What more could you need to say? grin
She is now 7, talks constantly and is confident and happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now