Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! My 20 month DS keeps hitting himself! What to do?

(6 Posts)
sweetpea1980 Mon 13-Jul-09 11:12:15

Hi there.
Am hoping that someone has experienced the same thing. DS is 20 months old and over the last month or so has started to hit himself - smacking himself on the temples when he gets tired/upset/frustrated.

Have told him not to do it, then tried to ignore. This week he has had the dreaded swine flu and he's doing it 6-7 times a day!

This is so distressing - don't know what to do and don't know if this is normal. He is normally such a gentle boy - so has come as quite a shock! I would be so grateful for any advice/experiences.

Laura x

heavenstobetsy Mon 13-Jul-09 11:19:50

my dd has been doing this, mainly when she's tired .....she's two next week and I would say is doing less now, just occassionaly when she's over tired.

We do tell her gently not to do it but TBH I think it's something they just grow out of - or stop doing when they realise it hurts grin

giveloveachance Mon 13-Jul-09 11:30:04

yes dd does this too - it is rather alarming, its is usually when she is tired or frustrated trying to do something.

I do hold her hands down to stop her and try to calm her, and I have been getting her to say, help please, before it gets to the point she is so frustrated she cant do something - its beginning to work.

madmummies Mon 13-Jul-09 20:16:56

Ds used to do this aswell as hitting his head on walls floors and doors!!! he thought it was very funny all i could think of was brain damage!!!
He stopped in his own time and rarely does at all now. It must be a learning stage thing!

Allegrogirl Mon 13-Jul-09 20:21:28

I was thinking of posting something myself. DD is 20 months and has been doing this for a few weeks. She's not doing it hard enough to harm but it's distressing for me and dh. Seems to be mainly when trying to communicate and I hope it gets better when she can speak in sentences instead of one word at a time. Glad it's not just our's doing it.

sweetpea1980 Tue 14-Jul-09 20:58:36

Thanks so much girls! a relief to know that its not just him! He seems to have changed so much in the last few weeks in terms of behaviour - having tantrums, hitting me and anything in his path when tired or frustrated. Seems to be all the time! Am hoping that this is just the start of the terrible twos a bit early. My health visitor has suggested that I ignore his behaviour as even telling him no is rewarding his behaviour/giving him attention. Easier said than done! Thanks again for your help xxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now