Talk

Advanced search

Why does ds2 only bite me?

(4 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 12-Jul-09 13:44:33

He's 13 months and for the last 6-8 weeks has started biting - but only me!

It's usually when we're sat quietly playing, or he's snuggling in before a sleep. If he's being carried he bites my shoulder or neck, or if we're sitting or snuggling it's my arm. Usually he goes for bare skin but he's quite happy to have a go through clothes too!

Any ideas on why he's only doing it to me, and also the best way to stop it? DS1 never bit so I'm at a bit of a loss!

Greensleeves Sun 12-Jul-09 13:46:37

cos he likes you! I wouldn't bite someone I didn't like grin

seriously, it is because you are his secure and trusted primary care figure, the one he can test his new behaviours and his boundaries on. It's your reactions, your responses and ultimately your approval he wants.

When mine did it I used to put them down and say "Ouch, poor Mummy. That hurts me and makes me sad" and encourage them to kiss it better, which is what I do for them when they are hurt. They did get the message eventually

egypt Sun 12-Jul-09 13:54:44

Aww mine did/does this. In fact your post has made me realised that she hasn't done it for a while. She's now 2.4 and only bit me. I don't know why but Greensleeves answer seems to make sense. She is also q happy to launch herself on her 5 year old sister and pull her hair or pinch for no reason.

Think we may have issues one day!

No seriously, it will pass.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 12-Jul-09 21:06:05

He's a bit young for kissing me better!

What I've been trying to do is say "No" firmly to him and then putting him down, but I don't feel I can do this just before he goes to sleep otherwise he'd get upset and take forever to nod off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now