Talk

Advanced search

Snot habits and teaching to blow nose

(4 Posts)
JimmyMcNulty Fri 10-Jul-09 18:13:11

Any ideas how to get ds (nearly 3) to stop picking his nose at night and wiping it on the wall next to his bed? It looks just LOVELY in the mornings... Obviously I've asked him not to - sometimes he says 'OK I won't' (then does) and other times he says 'But I like doing it'.

He is very reluctant to blow his nose and hasn't yet managed to do it very effectively so I can see why he thinks it's pointless. I have clearly failed in teaching him the correct technique... Any tips on helping him do it?

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 22:05:18

Urgh! Have you tried getting him to blow it out into the bath - ie no tissue, just into the water. (Yeah I know gross but so is having it up the wall).

He needs to see others do it really - his own age.

Tell him he's much more likely to get ill if he keeps picking and not blowing and encourage him to make big whale noises when he does blow properly (DD loves making 'big parpy nose noises' hmm) and will now do it when asked.

dinkystinky Sat 11-Jul-09 20:15:46

My DS1 suddenly got blowing his nose at 3 and 2 months or so - we'd ask him to do dinosaur nose blows and he'd pick the dino he wanted to do and try to make a dino noise by blowing snot out his nose (we still have to hold the tissue for him) and he's brilliant at it now. I thin its a developmental thing - it seemed to take ages for him to get it...

JimmyMcNulty Sun 12-Jul-09 17:40:05

Sorry I forgot about this thread! Thanks for the responses - I will definitely try the animal noises idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now