Talk

Advanced search

opposite reports from son's two playgroups

(7 Posts)
mamatilly Fri 10-Jul-09 13:47:40

met with keyworkers at son's two different playgroups this week:-

playgroup one - "son happy, confident, lovely boy, never angry, no behaviour issues, plays in groups or on his own observing the others, no concerns atall".

playgroup two - "son very timid on arrival, only wants to stand by wall and watch, only plays with very timid shy quiet girls, testing boundaries with other staff, keeps sticking tongue out at one lady, issues around sitting down at lunch, doesn't want to share toys or allow other children into an existing group, does sports activities but needs alot of reassurance".

what do you think?!!!

is playgroup one being too kind/blind?

is playgroup two being too unkind/pedantic?

is the truth somewhere in between?

Flyonthewindscreen Fri 10-Jul-09 13:50:52

Or maybe the first playgroup is doing a lot of things right and the second a lot of things wrong if your DS's behaviour is so much worse at the latter place?

slowreadingprogress Fri 10-Jul-09 14:05:21

wow, what a difference!

there's obviously a very different atmosphere at playgroup two....sounds very negative from playgroup two, quite unprofessional IMO

bin playgroup two, I say!

growingup Fri 10-Jul-09 14:06:52

Message withdrawn

acebaby Fri 10-Jul-09 16:07:58

I agree with the other posters - sounds like a problem with the playgroup. DS1 goes to two play groups, and although there were small discrepancies in their reports (at one they said he could count to 5 and at the other to 14 for example) the general tone of the reports was similar. If at all possible I would ditch playgroup 2!

Before doing this though, I would have an honest chat with them about what triggers his behaviour so that you can sort things out quickly if any of these issues reappear later on (not that they probably will). It might be that DS2 is frightened of some of the more boisterous children, or is copying another child. It is odd that he only does things like stick his tongue out in this one place. When DS1 develops a bad habit ( currently nose picking and making loud nee-naw noises), he tends to do it everywhere!

londonartemis Fri 10-Jul-09 18:42:49

Sounds like he's not happy at the playgroup 2. COuld he do more hours at playgroup one instead? If it was me, I would move him out of playgroup two straightaway.

mamatilly Fri 10-Jul-09 20:25:23

thanks for your thoughts.. yes i have decided to go with playgroup one.

i think pg1 might be a little more happy go lucky but their heart is in the right place.

phew!
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now