Talk

Advanced search

Silly question about clapping

(5 Posts)
Andlou Fri 10-Jul-09 09:15:14

My DD is 9.5 months old and can't clap yet. Is this normal? Her development seems quite slow in other ways as well ie no interest in crawling yet. Should I be worried?

StealthPolarBear Fri 10-Jul-09 09:17:14

DS didn't do the pointing/clapping/waving thing until quite old, can't remember exactly but probably consistently after 12mo. It worried me at the time, but all fine now.
If you are worried, talk to your HV - it's worth getting these things checked out anyway. Did your DD have a check at about 7 or 8 months? I can't remember when exactly but I know DS had one then.

merr Fri 10-Jul-09 12:29:21

11 month old ds has only just started waving At people,and is sort of trying to clap but he just grabs his hands together! can't/ won't point though.

i think he has almost always hit milestones about 1-3 months after the books say he should so i am always worrying that he is behind!

He can crawl and cruise and he can stand on his own (just)so i think he just really wants to get mobile before anything else, maybe she is concentrating on something else? talking maybe?

Andlou Fri 10-Jul-09 13:20:42

hmm, she is quite chatty but not noticeably more than other babies. She does have a lot of teeth but I don't think that counts in the same way! Have stopped reading stuff about what your baby should do by a certain age- she is waaaaay behind on most things.
They don't seem to do another check until a year here - used to get some good advice from HV but now they don't seem bothered at all and just shrug off my "daft" questions

merr Fri 10-Jul-09 17:04:15

well Ds can only just say ca for cat the rest is all grunts, no sign of anything like talking yet!

we havent had his 8-12 month check yet, HV's are well behind so not expecting it for a while, think my Ds just takes after his mum and is a bit, well lazy!!

if you feel that somethings wrong, maybe you should pop into your Gp's, mine is lovely so i go with anything, might put your mind at rest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now