Talk

Advanced search

oooooh, DD is a total nightmare when it comes to clothes/shopping!!!!!

(6 Posts)
Sugarmagnolia Fri 10-Jul-09 08:54:10

DD(8) HATES shopping - always has done ever since she was toddler. Even now when she's really picky about what she wears she won't go shopping with me or if I tell her she has to she gets fed up and bored literally within minutes. It wouldn't be so bad except when I go shopping for her on my own (which I am quite happy to do as I love shopping and feel much less guilty spending money on the kids than on myself) she ends up hating half the stuff I buy.

So, I have had to resort to shopping for her, bringing it home to try on/get a seal of approval and if she doesn't like it I take it back. But sometimes even at home she gets annoyed having to try stuff on and will just say 'yeah it's fine' to get me to go away. So I take all the tags off, lose track of the receipts and then weeks and weeks later realise the new item has consistently been put the bottom of the drawer over and over again. There's always a reason why she'll wear it the next day but never today.

Today it's a two pairs of leggings which I bought to replace her old black ones with the holes in she was wearing at every possible opportunity.

I don't want to be that horrible mum who says 'you're wearing that?' or who won't let her daughter have her own taste/style/whatever but this is driving me up the frigging wall! angry

chevre Fri 10-Jul-09 09:00:44

do it online with her? more interesting than dragging her round shops. find something she likes and buy 3.

Sugarmagnolia Fri 10-Jul-09 09:09:21

Tried that but she won't sit at the computer with me any more than she will go round the shops so it still comes down to me picking stuff out for her to try on. Besides that also limits where I can get her stuff from. That sometimes work for one off items like a jacket or dress but for everyday stuff not so much. Except school clothes - I get ALL The kids school stuff online.

seeker Fri 10-Jul-09 09:15:29

How old is she?

Buda Fri 10-Jul-09 09:26:47

What about a once a season trip to buy basics for that season. She has to promise to come with you for one morning or afternoon and then you have a treat afterwards - a promise of a new book or a movie or friends over or something. You both agree that she will take an interest enough to buy 4 tops and 4 bottoms or whatever you decide then it is over in one fell swoop. Then she HAS to wear them. Otherwise she lets you shop for her but has to agree to wear whatever you choose.

I feel your pain a bit as DS is just 8 and other than football kit is not interested in clothes and just says yes to get out of the shop and then won't wear things. Drives me scatty.

Sugarmagnolia Fri 10-Jul-09 12:38:23

seeker - old enough to be a PIA about what she's wearing, not old enough to send her shopping by herself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now