Talk

Advanced search

When should I stop swaddling?

(6 Posts)
kwaker5 Thu 09-Jul-09 15:23:34

I just read at babycentre.co.uk that you shouldn't swaddle after 4 weeks because it hinders development shock

Presumably they mean constant swaddling though?

Anyway, it's sometimes the only way I can get my 7 week old DD to have a decent nap if she's overtired during the day because it stops the startle reflex from waking her up. Can I just continue doing this for as long as it works? It's a godsend after having a DS who would just scream and scream when overtired!

rubyslippers Thu 09-Jul-09 15:27:24

i swaddled DS for naps until he was around 4 months

the moro reflex - the thing which makes them fling their arms around and then wakes them up doesn't start to calm until around 12 weeks IIRC

i wouldn't worry about hindering development

LaTrucha Thu 09-Jul-09 15:36:36

I think they must mean constant swaddling, not just for sleep. I swaddled DD until 5-6 months and she seems fine!

It wasn't hard to stop either.

kwaker5 Thu 09-Jul-09 15:52:16

OK, that's good to know!

GentlyDoingIt Thu 09-Jul-09 15:58:08

I swaddled DD at sleeptime from 3 months (the relief on her face was extraordinary) until about 7 months, and stopping was no bother.

She still asks for it (or a version of it) sometimes now at age 6!

procrastinatingparent Thu 09-Jul-09 16:14:32

I swaddled all of mine to sleep as long as possible, DS1 the longest - at least 10 months. If development is a concern he has just won scholarships to secondary school. grin I think they must mean constant swaddling, not culturally a British thing, I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now