Talk

Advanced search

How much do your 9 year old DCs eat?

(8 Posts)
mum2RandR Thu 09-Jul-09 13:21:12

My DS was 9 in may and lately seems to have developed a massive appetite! He is of average height (4ft4) and weighs just under 4 1/2 stone, hes very athletic and hasnt got an ounce of fat on him (lucky thing!).
This is what he eats in a day -
breakfast - cereal (cornflakes, shredded wheat etc) 1-2 pieces of toast

lunch - sandwich, cheese dippers, squeezy yoghurt, small chocolate bar or cereal bar, piece of fruit

Dinner - spag bol, shepherds pie etc (quite a big portion!)

pudding - ice cream, yoghurt etc

After school he has a small snack sometimes or a treat and after dinner he has about 3 pieces of fruit.
Am wondering if he is going through a growth spurt or something or if Im not feeding him enough. He is most hungry after school before dinner and he is a VERY active child.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 09-Jul-09 13:25:02

I think that is probably very similar to what my dd eats. I think if he isn't fat I wouldn't worry!
I start cutting mine back if I notice her getting chubby.

Earlybird Thu 09-Jul-09 13:27:32

Doesn't sound a huge amount of food to me.

FWIW, I have noticed that dd's (8.5) appetite has increased significantly over the last several months as it has got warmer outside/longer days. She is outside and physically active for hours more than in the colder months, and presumably needs/wants more food.

Prosecco Thu 09-Jul-09 13:29:54

Everything going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Children this age are supposed to eat around 1800 calories a day- only 200 less than an adult. My two eldest dc have meal portions the same size as me and snack continually on fruit, yoghurt, cereal bars,toast, cheese,whatever they can get their hands on constantly.

Sounds normal.

shouldbeironing Thu 09-Jul-09 13:31:20

Sounds normal to me - mine probably eats a little more than this but is tall for his age (also active and not an excess ounce on him).

I do find it best to give a fairly big snack after school (3:30ish) like toasted sandwich or cake and fruit and then have tea 6pm-ish. And he still has another snack before bed. The challenge is finding substantial enough healthy snacks to take with you when you go out somewhere after school. We often resort to crisps or whatever which I feel guilty about.

gingertoo Thu 09-Jul-09 13:33:08

Sounds very normal to me

My ds's (8 and 10) eat alomost the same as I do in a day - costing me a blinkin fortune!

alfiesmadmother Thu 09-Jul-09 13:44:24

I actually don't think that sounds much. My string bean 7 year old eats more and still moans he is hungry!!! I give him milkshake that fulls him up for a bit and pancakes are good.

MrsMcCluskey Thu 09-Jul-09 13:52:25

DS1 is 9 about the same size
he has
Breakfast - 2 weetabix and 1 slice of toast

Morning brea - cereal bar
lunch - half a sandwich baguette, baked crisps, yogurt, raisns

Home time - small choc bar or a milkshake

Dinner - spag bol or sim
followed by ice crea or sim

Bedtime milk and 2 biscuits

and he is still hungry al the time but he is very active!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now