Talk

Advanced search

Toddler not sleeping since return from holiday.. HELP!

(13 Posts)
MummyLovesSadie Wed 08-Jul-09 19:53:29

I'm really at the end of my tether so PLEEEAAASEEE can someone out there give me a suggestion.

We returned from a two week holiday two weeks ago & since then my usually easy-to-put-to-bed toddler has turned into a sleep depraved monster. She didn't sleep well when we were away & only had her lunchtime nap if dh drove her around until she fell asleep. She'd only sleep at night if I lay on a bed with her & then eventually transferred her to a cot.

She used to go to bed wide awake saying 'night Mummy, night daddy' & settle herself. Now we are back I can't leave her alone in her room as she has learned to hurl herself out of her cot into the floor. Either myself or dh will sit in the chair in her room & she will wriggle, roll, stand up & jump about for up to two hours before she finally falls asleep. I've been trying to progress things by standing outside the door instead of sitting in the chair but she cries & repeats things such as "What's the matter", "Mummy in here" & "Runny nose". I can't continue to spend up to four hours of my day trying to coax her to go to sleep. She is 21 months by the way.

Thanks in anticipation of your wonder solutions!

slowreadingprogress Wed 08-Jul-09 21:00:48

I honestly wonder if holidays are worth it with 1 or 2 year olds. Unless you stick 'em in kids club it's just more of the same routine from home but with added nightmarish travel time!

Sorry - I do realise that is not helping grin but i seriously suggest not going on holiday till she's about 5 grin

I had to sit in with DS for quite some months when he was this age and I think she is old enough to be told 'I will stay as long as you lay down'. If she gets up, you leave the room. If she lays nicely, you stay.

This did work with my ds; he'd never been a great dropper-offer though so I can imagine that for you this must feel like hell. but I think if you are consistent you will get back to how things were eventually.

With ds as time went on we started popping out to do things and promising him we'd be back in a minute so long as he was quiet, etc.

I'm sure other people will have other ideas; but this worked for us.

MummyLovesSadie Wed 08-Jul-09 21:19:04

Thanks SRP, I think dd is just about old enough for me to start to negotiate with so I will definitely give this a go tomorrow.

You are so right about holidays! grin

slowreadingprogress Wed 08-Jul-09 21:34:55

good luck! And get planning that next holiday....about 2013? wink

girlsyearapart Wed 08-Jul-09 21:44:19

Not v helpful but returning from a trip to visit SIL in oz when dd1 was 6 months (month long trip not one full nights sleep..) we did controlled crying which took 2 weeks as it was combined with jet lag. Not so good with older child but hey. Same dd now 22 mo and was settling easily by herself until a few weeks ago. Tried everything but the only thing that works is to tell her all the nice things that will be happening the next day and to go to sleep so they can happen IYSWIM.

MummyLovesSadie Thu 09-Jul-09 15:34:29

Amazing SPR, it only took 10 minutes.... 10 quiet minutes to get her to have her lunchtime nap! The real test will be at bedtime tonight, I'll be eternally grateful if it works then too!

Girlsyearapart I like the sound of telling her the nice things that will happen the next day - very Mary Poppins! They do pick up on your desperation though don't they so I'll have to make sure I'm not telling her through gritted teeth!

slowreadingprogress Thu 09-Jul-09 23:21:53

hurray re the nap!

How was bedtime?
<hovers anxiously>

girlsyearapart Fri 10-Jul-09 07:27:02

Am so very un mary poppins! getting cross and telling her I was about to miss the start of eastenders wasn't working though!!

girlsyearapart Fri 10-Jul-09 07:27:54

And also have to wrack my brains sometimes trying to think what we're going to do the next day..

MummyLovesSadie Fri 10-Jul-09 19:31:51

Bedtime was about 20 mins which was great but the little monkey woke up at about 1am & both dh & I took turns in sitting in with her for an hour and a half before she went back to sleep angry.

She fell asleep in car today on way back from hospital today (I had an erpc sad) so lunchtime nap was easy & dh is up there with her now trying to get her to sleep.

Hey ho!

slowreadingprogress Fri 10-Jul-09 19:34:47

aww - you're getting there though - it is so hard isn't it, in the middle of the night but i think you're doing great and I'm sure she'll be back in the pattern before you know it. Hope you are ok?

mumtoconnieandbilly Sat 11-Jul-09 14:44:10

Just joined MN for first time as having week from hell returned from 2 weeks hol last sat ! So seeing your messages amazing! DD (3.5) behaviour gone out of the window on holiday and since returning. DS (2) night time sleep pattern appalling too. DH and I completely exhausted. People keep saying "are you really relaxed after your holiday? " and its tempting to tear their heads off.
DS been a good sleeper till now but had a cot in our room on holiday!!!!!!! so now wont settle without me being in room. Last Sunday so so tired I actually climbed into his cot to lie down beside him! (luckily I am a small lady). Have been withdrawing slowly all week so now I am just lying on floor holding his hand - last night he actually pointed to the floor and said "mummy sleep on carpet"! what a pet!? Wouldnt be so bad if that was it for the night but no, hes up once or twice in the night too. Been managing to resettle once but on second awakening I have to bring him in with us - I put a cot mattress on floor so he's not in our bed (small mercies). Last night worst so far as DD decided not to be left out and woke up at about 3am and wouldnt go back off till about 5 - insisting I stay in her bed until she did.
Had no idea the holiday would throw them out so much - it was only an hour ahead too.....

MummyLovesSadie Sat 11-Jul-09 19:59:38

Oh Mumto it's like taking five steps backwards hey? We now seems to be having one good night followed by one bad night. The night before last she was awake for an hour and a half & kept repeating "Mummy sit on chair".... what else could I do, dh & I now seem to be taking orders from our 21 month old dd - what's that all about?!! Will see how tonight goes.

Thanks SRP feeling much better after the op now, would like a guaranteed good nights sleep though! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now