Talk

Advanced search

What age is to early to wean??

(15 Posts)
indi4 Wed 08-Jul-09 19:20:13

Hi,

I have a little boy who is now 15wks, he is my second child. My little girl was weaned at 6 months and even then I thought she was not ready for it. To tell you the truth I hate all the weaning side of things and would happily give him milk until he is 18 !!

However, I have a really hungry baby who since birth has had stupid amounts of milk intake per bottle feed. It is at the point I would now have to make up 2 bottle per feed as it wont fit in one bottle !!
He is now starting to wake really early again hungry and is not lasting between each feed in the day due to hunger.

Is it too early to introduce just baby rice to help him? I was just thinking at 5pm???

Appreciate any thoughts....

thisisyesterday Wed 08-Jul-09 19:21:55

definitely not before 17 weeks officially.

personally i wouldn't do anything before 5 months at an absolute minimum

nickytwotimes Wed 08-Jul-09 19:23:09

The absolute minimum (and even then it is not a good idea really)is 17 weeks, though it is better to wait until nearer 26 weeks.
15 weeks is far too young.
Have you asked about using hungry baby milk at all?

Claire2009 Wed 08-Jul-09 19:26:40

How much is he taking in each bottle?

My Ds was a hungry baby, on 11oz of hungry baby formula at 11wks old, every 3-4 hrs.
He was weaned at 5.5mths.

indi4 Wed 08-Jul-09 19:37:05

I do agree with all of you, and believe me I really have my hand full with a 19 month old on the go as well.

I use Hipp Organic formula and they don't have a "hungrier baby" formula for under 6 months which does not help, and I don't really want to change the formula.

He has 6 feeds between the hrs of 7am and 11pm most of which are between 7-8 oz which I think is loads, however he is still looking for more after each feed and does not even last 3 hrs sometimes.

What would you do?

AnarchyAunt Wed 08-Jul-09 19:39:20

I'd fit in an extra milk feed rather than wean.

There's no reason he can't have more milk if he's hungry, and it will satisfy his needs better than baby rice.

thisisyesterday Wed 08-Jul-09 19:42:10

i would give more milk too.

6 feeds doesn't seem that many to me (but i am used to frequent breastfeeding monsters lol)

follow his lead. feeding as much as he wants, on demand is the way to go IMO

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 08-Jul-09 19:42:10

Baby rice isn't a substitute for milk so it wouldn't work to keep the baby going between feeds. There is nothing in baby rice imo, it is all about new tastes not filling tummies.

<disclaimer- I am probably completely wrong as my baby is 4 now>

currymaid Wed 08-Jul-09 19:42:30

We had a 10 oz MAM bottle for when DD was drinking monster amounts at bedtime if that would help you at all.

diedandgonetodevon Wed 08-Jul-09 19:42:56

Just to give you something to compare against. DS at that age (he's only 9mo now so not eons ago!) was on 7 x 7oz per day between 8 and 11 (no night feeds) so to me you DS's intake seems normal.

KingRolo Wed 08-Jul-09 19:44:23

I may be wrong here but I'd guess there are more calories (and many more nutrients) in an extra forumla feed than in a few spoons of baby rice so I don't think it would help to wean at this stage.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 08-Jul-09 19:45:10

What KingRolo said. (Said it better than me!)

KingRolo Wed 08-Jul-09 19:52:45

X post BakerGirl!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 08-Jul-09 19:56:50

indi4 Wed 08-Jul-09 19:59:29

Great, Thanks all for you input. I will happily wait and introduce an extra feed!

Baby brain, I am not sure why I didn't think of that myself !!!

And even more you are right about the more nutrients - and it will be far easier to give another bottle !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now