Talk

Advanced search

Ok remind me... what am I supposed to do with an almighty tantrum?

(12 Posts)
Picante Wed 08-Jul-09 17:47:40

3 year old. Won't sit on time-out step mid-tantrum, throwing, kicking, hitting me...

What am I supposed to do I can't remember!!

giantkatestacks Wed 08-Jul-09 17:49:11

I think you can do that time out where you hold them on your lap and have them facing away from you if they are kicking and hitting you.

I must confess I used to stick my ds in his room instead.

Picante Wed 08-Jul-09 17:51:53

I think I would worry about him hurting himself in his room but admittedly I'm probably too soft.

giantkatestacks Wed 08-Jul-09 17:53:52

I dont think its a matter of being too soft - dont worry about that or what other people say - its normally just a consistancy thing - as long as you do the same thing every time and stick to it you should be ok.

benfmsmum Wed 08-Jul-09 17:55:01

I would walk away and "ignore" him whilst keeping a sneaky eye on him. Obviously I only do this is the house!! My ds is autistic so maybe that wouldn't work for you though.

benfmsmum Wed 08-Jul-09 17:55:29

in the house not is the house!!

idontbelieveit Wed 08-Jul-09 17:58:54

I usually leave dd for a bit, especially if she's being violent towards me, but she finds it difficult to "come down" on her own so after she's been going for a while i talk to her quietly until she comes for a cuddle. I find that if i can remain detatched rather than getting upset they are easier to cope with.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 17:59:32

Ignore, walk away, try not to laugh. Or hold very tight but that can be hard if he is hitting and kicking.

giantkatestacks Wed 08-Jul-09 18:01:38

In extreme circumstances throw yourself on the floor and have a go too - even if it doesnt shock them into stopping its very satisfying...smile

Picante Thu 09-Jul-09 08:07:45

Thanks giantkatestacks but I think at 34 weeks pg I may not be able to 'throw myself on the floor'!

Thanks for other advice.

Scootergrrrl Thu 09-Jul-09 08:13:21

You probably could throw yourself gently on the floor... whether you'd be able to get yourself up again is another matter grin

melmog Thu 09-Jul-09 08:43:43

I'm going though this with dd1 and posted the other week to check I was doing the right thing by ignoring her.

Had a lovely reply saying I was so I'll pass that on to you.

Especially as you're pregnant, I'd just distance yourself from him and if need be move to a different room.

This is working on my dd. She still has monster tantrums but she has learnt that she has to come to me for a cuddle once she's calmed down. If I try to approach her btw she starts screaming and rolling around on the floor again so I just leave her to it.

I feel calmer in myself too now I'm confident I'm doing the right thing. You don't need any extra stress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now