Talk

Advanced search

concentration and 8 yr old

(6 Posts)
racmac Wed 08-Jul-09 14:22:29

Just had parents evening for ds8 and been basically told that he doesnt concentrate and switches off completely but then expects teacher to spend time with him one on one to explain it all again - the teacher will do this but he still doesnt listen properly and still wont "get" what he's supposed to be doing.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

ICANDOTHAT Wed 08-Jul-09 15:50:13

Oh blimey ... this takes me back. Had exactly the same with DS2 now aged 13 and slightly better. I 'over dosed' him on EyeQ Omega tablets and it did help. Changed his diet quite drastically to exclude any artificial additives. Also, if he's up for it, get him to do a few work sheets at home. I did this with an egg timer set to 10 mins at the beginning gradually increasing the length of time. Concentration is something that can be helped along the way, but if your son really lacks it, then he'll probably be like it for the rest of his school life. My ds2 aged 6 is dx with ADHD and I have looked at myself and believe that I probably had it as a child and still to some extent as an adult. Ds1 is probably miled - I say this as it is genetic. Good luck ! wink

ICANDOTHAT Wed 08-Jul-09 15:50:55

ps forgot to ask, how is he doing academically/behaviour wise at school ?

racmac Wed 08-Jul-09 16:42:56

thanks ICANDOTHAT

academically he struggles - he gets extra help as i had him referred to ed pysch.

I have just started him on some fish oils - perhaps i will up the dose.

behaviour wise - i think he is a typical 8 yr old boy but he can be challenging at times.

Im planning on doing some work over the holidays with him and lots of games like scrabble and cards to see if that helps to extend his concentration thing - i do wonder if its just his age and he's not that interested in work - he would rather be outside playing and doing sports - very similar to my dh at that age apparently

ICANDOTHAT Wed 08-Jul-09 17:01:26

That should have been 'mild' of course blush What was the outcome of the EP observations ? If he is struggling academically, he probably 'shuts down' as he is unable to do or complete the task. School can be a mine field for some kids (and parents), but as long as you care and he has your support, I'm sure he will be ok. I know where I'd rather be if I was an 8 year old boy ... smile

Barmymummy Wed 08-Jul-09 17:11:57

Sounds like my DS (aged 4). Can already see that he is no way intersted in pens, paper or anything like that. Is only wanting to be playing tennis, cricket, football, jumping on trampoline, swimming etc etc hmm School should be interesting grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now