Talk

Advanced search

hair/clothes pulling

(4 Posts)
ziggyf Wed 08-Jul-09 14:16:03

hello

My son is 21 months old and is a lovely, bright, happy little boy. However, he's recently started grabbing other children's clothes and pulling them towards him. It's not when he's angry or upset, it can happen at any time and his face just has a normal relaxed expression. Obviously other children don't like this much and I usually end up having to prise his hand off and move him away. He's also started pulling hair occasionally, again not when he's cross just during normal play.

What should I do?!? I usually remove him from the situation and tell him not to do it and that it's not nice, it makes X sad etc. It just doesn't seem to sink in though and he'll be at it again soon after!

Any hints or tips? I'm worried that people are going to start avoiding us soon!
Ziggy x

littleboyblue Wed 08-Jul-09 14:23:25

Not sure there is much else you can do. My ds is 23 months and has just started pushing and pulling on other little ones, and apart from doing what you're doing, there's not much you can do. It's a phase, it's a time when their personality is coming through and they need to experiment with different behaviours.
I've been getting a bit distressed about ds1's new behaviour, but the staff at our childrens centre tell me that he isn't the only one to have this sudden change, they are all doing it, and it is perfectly normal. You just have to keep repeating that it's not nice and move him away and I'm sure it'll pass

ziggyf Wed 08-Jul-09 15:14:38

I hope so. It makes me sad that people will think he's a nasty boy when I know that he is loving and kind and happy :0(

I think I'll talk to his nursery keyworker about it. He's only in once a week but maybe they can do something and/or give me so tips on how to cope?

It's good to know I'm not alone!

littleboyblue Wed 08-Jul-09 16:25:55

Worth a try.
I know what you mean. My ds1 is also lovely and I'd hate him to become 'that child' you know the one that parents don't want theirs to play with?
My ds1 likes to hug. But around the neck hmm. If you don't hug him back, you get pushed or slapped in the face sad
I tell him off straight away, but he just glares evils at me and carries on. I have on a few occasions had to take him home early. People tell me it passes.
Goodluck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now