Talk

Advanced search

Question about skin types and heredity - when do children develop freckles?

(11 Posts)
LucyMinter Tue 07-Jul-09 18:39:02

I'm interested to know how my son's skin is likely to develop...he is currently a toddler and has got very blonde hair. His skin has been very pale always. Now since the hot weather it's gone a sort of easy light brown - a sallow, yellowy brown, I can't really describe it - maybe almost Scandinavian? I didn't expect this because his father has extreme freckles all over, with sandy gingery blond hair, and I'm just your usual fair skinned English type, though I have gone goldeny brown in the past and don't burn easily. I have mousy hair.

I'm just wondering whether ds is likely to change from his current golden colour, to a freckly person, or if he'd already have freckles if he was going to get them?

He has about two at present, one on his foot, one on his head smile

TheArmadillo Tue 07-Jul-09 18:42:00

ds's started arriving at about 3 and now at 4 he has got quite a few across his nose.

CarGirl Tue 07-Jul-09 18:43:15

Depends how much sun they're exposed to. The dds started around 5 across their noses and cheeks. I am head to toe freckles.

LucyMinter Tue 07-Jul-09 18:43:19

Thanks, are you freckly too? Or does he just randomly have them?

LucyMinter Tue 07-Jul-09 18:43:37

Sorry x posts!

TheArmadillo Tue 07-Jul-09 18:44:10

I have quite a few on my face - dp has a lot more. Neither of us are completely covered though

LucyMinter Tue 07-Jul-09 18:48:19

So it looks like he might suddenly turn into freckle boy around the age of five! Thankyou.

I am a fan of freckles btw.

bakerslovecakes Tue 07-Jul-09 18:55:21

my dd freckles came when she was about 4yo and now at 13yo her cheeks are covered esp in the summer, im the same. She used to hate them but now shes ok with them and thinks shes unique as theres only 2 other children in the school with alot of freckles.

PrammyMammy Tue 07-Jul-09 21:54:52

I did't have any freckles until this year, now i have 5 on my nose and two on my cheeks. I'm 23.
My dad has loads, mum has a couple on her arms. Ds has none so far. I thought it had something to do with the sun? Maybe he won't get any.

Tinker Tue 07-Jul-09 22:02:08

He may get a mixture. My 4 year old has started to get a few across her nose (tiny ones) and my eldest has lots of little freckles on her face (but I don't think of her as freckly as she can tan). I have freckles, neither of their fathers do.

forkhandles Tue 07-Jul-09 22:11:04

my DH is the same colouring as yours LucyMinter and I have a few freckles on my face. My two gingery children have quite a few freckles on their face already (6 and 3.5yrs) and I started to notice them coming through at about 2.5yrs for DS and 4yrs for DD1 who is less ginger than DS DD2 (3.5) is blonde with no sign of freckles yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now