Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Son won't pooh in a potty- HELP!!!!

(6 Posts)
deliasmith Tue 07-Jul-09 13:53:44

My son is 4 in August and has been potty trained for nearly one year. However he would only pooh in a nappy and would hold it until bed time so instead of making him hold it and be uncomfortable if we were at home I would let him pooh in a nappy. a few weeks ago he used the potty no problem. so far he hasn't gone to the toilet for 3 days, what do I do? I don't want to go out and buy nappies again that will make him feel he has "won" and I have used every bribe in the book!! but also I don't want this to become an issue(which it rapidly is!). All advice will be tried and the one that works will get a toy!!!!!

Gemzooks Tue 07-Jul-09 14:00:58

what about a nice kids' loo seat attachment? then he goes on the big loo straight away.. also invite friends round who poo on the loo (kids, I mean), and let him see them doing the same.. worked for us

deliasmith Tue 07-Jul-09 14:33:55

thank you, we have a toilet seat and have tried that too!!! See even I admit I am at my wits end!!!

sfxmum Tue 07-Jul-09 14:44:36

my dd would not poo in the potty for ages, although she was toilet trained much earlier, eventually she moved on and agreed by herself to use the potty, now she is 4 and is using the toilet normally except for poo which she insist on doing in the potty, I expect eventually she will let go of the potty

I understand you are finding this frustrating dd needed us to stay with her sitting next to the potty telling stories while she sat there

I wish I had more advice but he will do it eventually

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 07-Jul-09 14:52:25

It took DS1 a year of being out of nappies before he would poo in the toilet. I tried everything including bribery, rewards, shoutingblush but he used to hold in his poo and eventually do it in his pants.

This went on until he got stuck on the toilet one day while DH was changing DS2. He did poo in the toilet and something seemed to click at that point.

That was 3 years ago, he's nearly 7 now but still doesn't like doing a poo and will hold it in as long as he can. He does poo in the toilet though and will clean himself up.

If he is staying with my mum though, which he loves doing in the holidays he won't go at all.

Clearly there are ongoing issues with DS1 and I really don't have much advice except to say don't make too big an issue out of it. Your DS will get there eventually. I really don't think I handled it very well and used to get cross with him which I really regret now as I think that may be the cause of the ongoing issuessad

deliasmith Tue 07-Jul-09 14:58:26

too late! I have lost my temper a few times and I have just cried! that got him to sit on potty but he still hasn't poohed. Might resort to buying some nappies when i collect my DD from school. thank you for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now