Talk

Advanced search

is 2 to old for a highchair?

(13 Posts)
ilovetochat Mon 06-Jul-09 21:49:07

dd has just turned 2 and has always ate meals in her highchair. we went on holiday and couldnt fit the highchair in the car but i thought she would be fine on a chair but she either climbed off, slid off under the table, fell off cos she doesnt concentrate or refused to sit there at all.
she ended up eating with her plate on her lap on the floor and wandering about but we ignored it as we were away.
we are home now and she is resisting the highchair but is too small/uncoordinated/stubborn for a normal chair.
can you get a booster type seat where they are still strpped in?

gigglewitch Mon 06-Jul-09 21:50:43

yes you can get a booster seat - will find you a linky in a mo. My 3.5 yr old still uses one grin
She is really diddy and couldn't reach the table otherwise, she wears 2yo size clothes!!

giddykipper Mon 06-Jul-09 21:52:16

We have this one for when we are away from home (have a Tripp Trapp without the straps now at home). Mothercare has loads of other booster seats with straps.

gigglewitch Mon 06-Jul-09 21:55:59

here it is - my two boys had it and now dd uses it. It straps securely to a normal dining chair, both underneath and round the back of the chair, so it isn't going to fall off. A tip - we put a tea-towel on the chair first : at my mum;s because she has [posh] fabric seats on the dining chairs, and at ours because they are wooden chairs. wink

ilovetochat Mon 06-Jul-09 21:58:45

thanks for the links, they say 6 months plus and look tiny so i thought they were instead of a highchair when they are snall but will give them a try if they fit toddlers.
dd is 2 but wears 9-12 month trousers so is very small (but as stroppy as a teenager) grin

giddykipper Mon 06-Jul-09 21:59:30

My DS is 2 and wears age 3-4 clothes and fits in that chair easily!

LittleMissNorty Mon 06-Jul-09 22:01:31

My DD is just 2 and sits in a booster chair, but without the tray so she eats at the table. It has a 3 point harness.

craftynclothy Mon 06-Jul-09 22:01:45

We have this one www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3763409/c_1/1|category_root|Nursery|12109130/c_2/2|cat_121 09130|Highchairs|12109165.htm and use it without the tray, just put the chair close enough to the table.

gigglewitch Mon 06-Jul-09 22:07:12

why don't you go and try some in toys r us or mothercare - or whatever you've got near you?

nannyL Mon 06-Jul-09 22:11:41

my charge will be 4 in 2 months time

he still seats on a booster chair (and it lowest level) to enable him to sit at the proper height at the table.

he is a tall child and in 5-6 clothes.

I do like good table manners and you cnat expect children who cant reach the table to be develope good table manners, so he sits there and eats beutifully.

if he doesnt (eg at friends or if friends with younger children visit us etc) then you can tell the difference... he fidgets as he tries to reach etc.

I like them to be able to rach the table in comfort... and i wouldny like sitting at a table where the table was by my chin!

ilovetochat Tue 07-Jul-09 14:03:25

thank you all, i will definitely get one if it will last so long and thanks for all the links, we have babies r us and mothercare so i will go and look for one.
i agree they eat better when sat properly and i'm fed up of the highchair taking up half the dining room.
smile

MrsKitty Tue 07-Jul-09 14:16:37

We had DS in the IKEA cheapo white plastic highchair until he was around 2, which is also great for holidays as is comes apart so you've just got the chair unit and 4 legs to fit in the car...Then we moved him into a Handysitt (pricey, but we picked one up second hand, and are expecting another baby anyway) The handysitt apparantly lasts up to 4 years, but we decided it was time for DS to manage without straps a week or two ago (he's 2.5 months now)- also his legs weren't fiting under the table properly - so now we've got him a "toddler chair" from IKEA as we had some vouchers to spend and didn't really need anything else - It's just like a normal chair but has taller legs so that he's at a comfy eating level, and he can climb on and off on his own. Think it was about £30

crokky Tue 07-Jul-09 14:20:43

I would try and get her back into the highchair - my highchair instructions say suitable until age 3 so I don't think your DD is too old unless your highchair is particularly small or flimsy.

I had a time like this when my DS had just turned 2 - he hadn't been using the highchair at my mums (I was sick/in hosp) when she was looking after him. But when I was better, he resisted the highchair for a few days, but then happily went back in it for a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now