Talk

Advanced search

16 month old keeps hitting

(11 Posts)
Emmaroo Sun 05-Jul-09 20:21:35

Hi all.... Ive not posted a question before but have certainly enjoyed reading other tips, questions and stories.
My 16 month old daughter keep hitting both myself and my dh. why? she thinks its funny. I ignore her, dont make eye contact, and remove myself from her reach, ie - change chairs. dh is a little slower in responding effectively. I remind him to ignore her and move away. If she continues we put her straight into her cot for a bit. what can other parents suggest? I know this is just a stage however it has been happening for a good few months now. She thinks its a great game and seems to be really intent on continuing.
all advice will be muchly appreciated.
Emma

rubyslippers Sun 05-Jul-09 20:23:00

well it is usual and i think putting her in her cot is a bit drastic

at 16 months she has no idea it is "wrong"/"Naughty"

a firm no is just right at this age - each and every time

Emmaroo Sun 05-Jul-09 22:25:20

Hi rubyslippers thanks for your response. Yeah we always say no at first - I didnt mention that in my initial Q. Next we ignore her. If she continues we put her in the cot. Each time she hits she laughs. Each time we say no she laughs harder! Its a great game for her. Giving her another game to play with distracts her which is the best technique yet. I just dont understand why she loves to hit and how it became such a wonderful game for her.

ButtercupWafflehead Sun 05-Jul-09 22:29:07

Hi Emmaroo!

Have you had a look at the MN TV "biting and hitting" vid on the right?

It takes ages for them to get it, that's the trouble! Sounds like you're doing things right!

3littlefrogs Sun 05-Jul-09 22:30:50

She wants to play with you. She has no idea that hitting isn't a game. She is a baby.

Playing another game with her is exactly the right thing to do.

Emmaroo Sun 05-Jul-09 22:35:39

I just read the bit about tackling tantrums and biting. Great tips and Ill put more things into practice from that. Ill look at the video now thanks ButtercupWafflehead. Thanks 3littlefrogs - she knows its not a game but she does know we dont like it.

motherbeyond Sun 05-Jul-09 22:37:22

hi,my ds is the same age and has started doing this.the first time i was holding him thanking a waitress for her good service,and she was cooing over him'oh,what a little angel etc...' then he whacked me round the chops and laughed his head off!!

said a firm no and 'naughty' but did it a few more times.my dd never went through this phase,and i was'nt sure what to do.eventually,i said in a very sacry and quite loud voice(and yes,i felt mean,but had to be done)accompanied by a scowly/angry face...and he cryed on my shoulder.it's not happened since.

admit i did wonder if it was too harsh(i practically shouted,and scared the bejaysus outa him)bu seems to have worked fingers x

Emmaroo Sun 05-Jul-09 22:44:52

just watched the video... have tried the 'dont hit be gentle. gentle gentle' and i show her to stroke my face etc. she just scrunches up her little fist and pinches my face. i think i have a devil child. haha.

Supercherry Mon 06-Jul-09 08:13:21

My DS too thinks it's hilarious to hit, he's 17mths, and I am certain he doesn't have the understanding to know it's not naughty.

I have been saying, 'No, we don't hit' and just gently push his hand away. I try and give as little reaction as possible. I am certain, like the biting that came beforehand (about 10-15mths), that it is just a phase.

Just remember that babies of this age aren't naughty, they are just learning. I think you are handling it right, except maybe the cot part. I always thought you were to avoid negative associations with the cot/bedroom so as to avoid creating problems with sleep.

Emmaroo Mon 06-Jul-09 22:41:15

I agree with the association with the cot thing... ill find another 'no fun' part of the house to put her. thank supercherry.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 08-Jul-09 21:46:46

My dd does this and with bitting, when we say no she then kisses it better grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now