Talk

Advanced search

A little concerned about DS's 'spinning' and 'shaking' and finger sucking...

(14 Posts)
Dalrymps Sun 05-Jul-09 16:00:56

Ds is a lovely, affectionate and communicative little boy. He's 20 months now.

However, there are a few things he does that I feel are a little obsessive and worry me a bit. I wonder whether these behaviours might point to some sort of Aspergers of type of autism. I don't mean to overreact or blow things up out of all proportion but it's just been on my mind.

The things that concern me are:

- Obsessive spinning of wheels on toys. He sits there sucking his fingers just spinning them for ages, more likely to spin them than to push the car along for eg.

- Shaking. He holds on to things, usually a sock or shoe but can be other items then kind of shakes them in a rhythmic movement and watches them move. Again, usually sucks his fingers whilst doing this unless walking about. If you try to take the object off him that he's shaking he screams and cries and tantrums. Sometimes i'm trying to feed him and he's somehow gotten hold of something he wants to shake and I just can break him away from it to feed him, I then have to take it off him which results in the crying etc.

- Finger sucking, done this as long as I can rememeber, think mostly it's a comfort thing but his 2 fingers have become a little flattened he does it so much.

- Temper. He is quite quick to lose his temper if things aren't going his way, even if a toy won't do what he wants it to do. If he is tantruming we kind of ignore most of it unless he's really distressed then we would comfort him.

His speachis good and he can say things like 'there's the baba' and well over 20 words. He does make eye contact. He has always, from birth been very difficult to feed, he has weight gain issues as he doesn't eat large quantities and is on high cal milk.

So, just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to whether this is in the 'normal' range or not?

BoysAreLikeDawgs Sun 05-Jul-09 16:08:19

The spinning is part of your child's development and there is even a name for it SCHEMA
a suresrart doc about schemas and I'm sure the shaking is another schema

Finger sucking - mine are 9 and 7 and still thumb/finger suck

Temper - a stage I am afraid

HTH

smile

nickschick Sun 05-Jul-09 16:10:54

Never attempt to see if your baby is 'normal' - believe me I wasted far too much precious baby time worrying about stuff like this.

Hes 20 months old he is a baby still- enjoy him and his phases.

Dalrymps Sun 05-Jul-09 16:13:20

That makes me feel better already. I didn't really mean I want him to be 'normal' or 'perfect' I just meant are these behaviours considered commonplace or a sign of some sort of condition. My dh has been worried to which is why I thought i'd ask. thanks for the link smile

BoysAreLikeDawgs Sun 05-Jul-09 16:17:06

smile

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 05-Jul-09 16:18:42

Message withdrawn

Jbck Sun 05-Jul-09 16:28:54

DD2 is just 20 months and she spins stuff for ages, quite often in a dreamlike state. she's also obsessed with straps and buckles on buggies, highchair, car seat. Has recently started sucking her fingers but we're trying to wean her off the dummy so that's maybe why.

She shakes lots of stuff but we bought her marraca (sp?) type things so it seemed more normal if you like, and she loves them. Why would you shake a duck grin

She seems much more obsessive than DD1 ever was but so many more things she does are exactly the same so I tend not to worry.

She wouldn't go to nursery the day they had a pyjama party because she wasn't dressed for instance.

I'm more easy going this time but if he's your first it's hard not to let little things bother you so why not get some professional reassurance although you know MN is way more qualified than HVs and GPs grin

lingle Sun 05-Jul-09 20:53:16

Hi,

How does he tell you what he wants? If he wants something he can't get to , what would he do?

Dalrymps Sun 05-Jul-09 21:50:02

Thanks for the replies, been out, sorry.

lingle - If he wants something he will point and whine or if he knows the name of it he will ask, for eg: juice, baba, sock etc

jbck - Lol at 'why would you shake a duck' grin, he's like that, shakes allsorts! Just ealier it was the Aldi leaflet?!

starlight - will think about it... I tend to not want to bother my HV with anything that worries me cause she's totally over the top and refers me to everyone she can and I end up with months of appointments when there'r no problem. Thats why I asked on here, you lot are a lot more sensible smile

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 05-Jul-09 22:35:34

Message withdrawn

lingle Sun 05-Jul-09 22:40:32

"he will point and whine or if he knows the name of it he will ask, for eg: juice, baba, sock etc"

That pointing is great and hugely important smile.

Dalrymps Sun 05-Jul-09 22:49:39

Starlight - Ah, I see! Is the community development paed different to a regular paed? Just asking cause he's seing his paed when he's 2 anyway for a review of his weight...

lingle - Oh good! grin

meandjoe Mon 06-Jul-09 08:07:27

All sounds fairly normal to me, toddlers are strange little obsessive creatures!

The temper thing sounds completely normal, of course he'll cry if you take something off him. They all do that as far as I know! In fact I think it is actually pone of the indicators that he is developing normally. My ds has only just grown out of doing it at nearly 2 but only because he understands more language now so I can bribe him a bit by saying 'ds pass the duck to mummy and we are going to go and do something really exciting in the living room!' etc etc. A few months ago he'd just scream and even now he sometimes protests if he thinks the object is just too exciting to give to mummy!

The eye contact and pointing are the key things to look out for which from what you describe sounds perfectly fine. It shows he is wanting to communicate with you and uses body language and words to do that which is great.

My ds loves to spin things too. At the park near us there is a 'dizzy disc' which is basically just a small blue disk on the floor which kids stand on and it spins round (bit of a death trap if you ask me) but my ds goes up to it, sits on the ground next to it and just spins it with his hands and watches it for ages. He loves wheels too. He also does the finger sucking thing but usually when he's unsure around new people so I think it's just a comfort thing.

Basically, everything you've written sounds like a 'normal' spirited little boy so try not to panic but if you really do feel there is something wrong then get it checked out just to settle yor mind. I'm sure they'll tell you everything's fine. xx

Dalrymps Mon 06-Jul-09 08:26:24

Ah I feel a lot better now. I kind of did think he was ok but as he's my first I have nothing to compare him to! One thing is for sure, he certainly is a lovely, amazing little man. Thanks for putting my mind at rest smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now