Talk

Advanced search

Developmental delay. Signs of cerebral palsy??

(28 Posts)
lucymum2four Sat 04-Jul-09 23:33:18

My 17 month DD been refered to see paeds due to delay in development. Late to sit unaided roughly just before 1st birthday. Cant yet stand as cant bear weight on her legs and left foot turns in when flat. doesnt crawl either,is bum shuffling like a pro though! she also has squints in both eyes. and was once mentioned to me by Dr that she doesnt seem to use her left arm and leg so much? was awaiting op for pyloric stenosis at time. is any of these ive listed reminisant of the signs of CP? just wanted a rough idea before we got to appt. also another thing that plauges me is she doesnt laugh? smileing lots but not laughing..any response much appreciated. thanks..

2shoes Sat 04-Jul-09 23:36:03

tbh there a couple of things you have posted that could be CP....but they might be nothing.
did she have any probs at birth or before?

lucymum2four Sat 04-Jul-09 23:42:08

Not really, wasnt in "normal postion" for delivery, and was pretty sick at around 4wks old when she had her op. had a bad urine infection.

2shoes Sat 04-Jul-09 23:43:43

don't panic too much, even if it is cp it doesn't have to be severe(dd has severe cp)
do you want me to link this thread in sn?

lucymum2four Sat 04-Jul-09 23:44:45

Yes could do. thank you

lisad123 Sat 04-Jul-09 23:44:50

could be any number of things tbh. MY dd1 didnt sit till 10months, never crawled but shuffled on her bum, and didnt walk till just before her second bday. She's now 6 and doing fine.

try not to panic yet (easy to say, not easy to do i know)

lucymum2four Sat 04-Jul-09 23:46:30

thanks my fault really, shouldnt go looking things up. ha,ha

lisad123 Sat 04-Jul-09 23:54:08

no its fine i was the same especially as niece and nephew have cp

lucymum2four Sat 04-Jul-09 23:58:38

i think part of the reason is i have always had a feeling there would be something, dont know what but had a feeling never had with my other three. that sound silly?

lisad123 Sun 05-Jul-09 00:06:07

not at all, took me 6 years to get dd1 dx with asd. i was told first time mother being over protectve.

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 00:10:06

sorry to be ignorant. Whats asd? think its so true as a mum you just know when something isnt right dont you!

lisad123 Sun 05-Jul-09 00:13:10

autisic specrum disorder

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 00:15:28

do you have other kids then?

lisad123 Sun 05-Jul-09 00:23:08

i have 2 girls, my eldest is 6 and youngest is 22months

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 00:30:01

awh bless, just noticed on another thread your DH has cancer. how are things going my mum has just been diagonosed with breast cancer.

lisad123 Sun 05-Jul-09 09:43:56

hi Lucy, his doing ok but been a little unwel the last few weeks and also the chemo makes him very tired. Hows your mum?

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 23:01:47

she is only jut been diagnosed, worse than first thought so having to do second biop, but has been told that a double masectomy needed. so hasnt started treatment yet.. hope things will get better for you guys. good luck. xx

SparklyGothKat Sun 05-Jul-09 23:09:30

HI Lucy, I am Lisad's sister, and have 2 children with CP. The things you have listed can be signs of CP.

My Ds1 couldn't sit up, crawl on all fours, or walk without support. He was dxd at 2.5 years old, with spastic diplegia CP. My Dd1 was dxd at 13 months, she did't walk till she was 26 months, was very floppy.

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 23:23:25

hi sparkly, she will also randomly cry and goes rigied and doesnt want to be held. when rest of time shes happy and playing. is this something else that could be linked? how are your dd and ds doing?

SparklyGothKat Sun 05-Jul-09 23:29:47

my dd1 used to cry loads too. If you look at my profile, you will see pics of my Ds1 in his wheelchair and after his tenon/muscle release op. last year.

They are both in Mainstream school, DS1 is going to secondary school this sept, he is going to an adapted MS school, but is doing great academically (sp?) DD1 has a statement of educational needs, as she has learning disabilitites (related to her CP)

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 23:37:29

their gorgeous.. do you have four? i have two girls two boys. my dd is starting to put little weight on feet but foot turns and knees bent and she will always lean forward even though im holding all her weight?

SparklyGothKat Sun 05-Jul-09 23:42:54

yes I have four, just realised that DD1 isn't on there... will put one up tomorrow.

I don't want to say what could be signs IYKWIM, as I am not a doctor. When is your appy?

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 23:46:12

15th august its horrible waiting, but gut instinct from day 1 is something not right. its just what is it? im really bad for imagining allsorts, ha

SparklyGothKat Sun 05-Jul-09 23:50:38

I knew from 7 months old with Ds1 (my eldest) I was 19 and was told that I was a first time young mum and had nothing to worry about.took another 2 years to get a dxd. With Dd1 I buried my head in the sand and ignored the fact she was floppy, unable to sit, and not hitting milestones, it was the HV who pick it up and referred her to Ds1's consultant.

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 23:56:15

So bad, was worried same would happen to me as im 24 never take into account ive had three before dd. do they dx by MRI? what causes cp? sorry for all the questions but you must be an expert. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now