Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

age old question and a bit boring, but, when did you stop sterilising your dc's bottles?

(10 Posts)
yousaidit Sat 04-Jul-09 20:50:37

i did as hv told me with dd and sterilised for a year, but with ds, who is 8m, i'm wondering if i actually need to sterilise his bottles for a whole year?

ds is 8m, not crawling but rolling everywhere, been weaned since 5m so using not sterilised bowls and spoons, and he does put hands / stuff/ his grubby petri dish of a sisters hands ec in his mouth too.

so, can i stop sterilising or should i do it for a year, or is it while you use formula powder then that's why you should sterilise?

ah, guidance appreciated, oh wise m'netters!

Haribosmummy Sat 04-Jul-09 20:53:02

I stopped sterilising DS's bottles at 7 months... Basically, when he was doing all the things you mention above:

Eating from other non-sterile equipment
Crawling
Putting anything and everything in his mouth

FWIW, DS is still on formula (13 months now) and the bottles are cleaned in a dishwasher, but not sterilised (though we do only make bottles up as we need them, IYSWIM).

We've not had any problems.

Stinkyfeet Sat 04-Jul-09 20:54:31

Personally, ds1 was about 6 months, ds2 about 3 months.

But really you don't need to sterilise at all

brimfull Sat 04-Jul-09 20:54:36

I never did sterilise with ds

I did with dd as it was yrs ago and I thought I had to.

With ds nearly 7 yrs ago I used to keep a sterilised jug of made up formula in the fridge and fill up bottles washed from the dishwasher.

So the milk was kept in a sterilised jug but went into a clean bottle.

brimfull Sat 04-Jul-09 20:55:41

phew stinkyfeet-thought I was going to get blasted for not sterilising

yousaidit Sat 04-Jul-09 20:59:13

harribosmummy, stinkyfeet, ggirl, thankyou all so much for your quick replies, that is it, there shall be no seething gentle shouts from me on a morning any longer to dh of 'so does the sterilser water need changing?'

huzzzaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooh, you are clever, you lot! grin

BoffinMum Sat 04-Jul-09 21:03:34

When they start sucking the carpet is a good moment to stop sterilising bottles. As long as you're keeping them clean with hot water and washing up liquid, that is, and there's no cat poo on your worktops! grin (You may laugh but I have seen this).

Stinkyfeet Sat 04-Jul-09 21:17:13

grin You're welcome!

Noonki Sat 04-Jul-09 21:25:18

DS1 - 8 months ish
DS2 - 3 months (but used dishwasher so apparently the same)

DS1 I was alot cleaner in general and he has loads more tummy upsets, so I figure very unscientifically that it was better to be a bit mucky (though obviously milk is dangerous so I was careful there!)

sammysamsam Mon 06-Jul-09 00:23:13

i with gg and sfeet...i sterilised for a couple of weeks with ds, and never with dd2 (both ebf- but did have expressed in bottles)..i think its just a load of pffrrt.. honestly. i dont think its necessary <waits to get slammed!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now