Talk

Advanced search

Advice please - how do you stop your toddler having major tantrums when its time to go home!

(8 Posts)
janjas Sat 04-Jul-09 19:25:05

Please help because this is really starting to get me down now! Wherever we go be it the park, somebodys house, playgroup, etc we ALWAYS have a battle when its time to leave. Ive tried giving her a time check ie telling her we are leaving in 10mins, then 5mins etc, Ive even resorted to bribary, but nothing works. This afternoon she went to a party and when it finished all the other children quietly left, except for my dd who had a massive meltdown! She is 2.11.

hercules1 Sat 04-Jul-09 19:26:25

Just pick her up, mumble an apology and leave quickly.

nickytwotimes Sat 04-Jul-09 19:27:27

Hmm, I was going to suggest bribery, but I see it is not working.
It may be that this is something she will just have to get through. Shame that she has to take you with her. wink

Bit wearing I'd imagine. sad

bohemianbint Sat 04-Jul-09 19:30:32

Makes you not want to bother doing anything nice, doesn't it?

Can you explain to her before you even go, that she will have to leave, and if she manages to do so nicely that she can have (something she wants, nothing huge, small treat type thing) and really bigging her up if she can do it?

ADealingMummy Sat 04-Jul-09 19:33:50

I have the same problem with my 2 year old DD, no great advice , but you are not alone.

JimJammum Sat 04-Jul-09 19:45:11

Maybe just pick her up and leave without giving her any attention about her tantrums....along with the 5,2,1 minute warnings before you go. You know what they say about toddlers and attention in any form. This way maybe the consistant message about countdown and then a fuss-free departure (from you anyway) will start to get the message home to her that all the yelling etc will not change the situation.

monkeyfacegrace Sat 04-Jul-09 20:01:11

I totally sympathise, mine is the same (2 1/2 yrs) I just give her the countdown, then upon leaving if the tantrum comes I just shove her under my arm and carry her kicking and screaming, totally ignoring her behaviour. Luckily all my friends understand so know what to expect! Then its in the car seat, she realises she has lost again, and starts singing to the radio like nothing happened!

Supercherry Sat 04-Jul-09 20:37:29

When my nephew used to do this when leaving the park, we used to distract him by saying, in very excited tones, 'Come on X, let's race back to the car!!!' and that would sometimes work. Worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now