Talk

Advanced search

how to encourage walking

(16 Posts)
eeky Fri 03-Jul-09 22:37:39

dd is 14m old and has been very good at standing and cruising around furniture for several months now. She can stand on her own for maybe 10-20 seconds if she doesn't realise she's doing it! I wasn't too concerned as I know it can take a while longer for walking on their own, but several people have made comments, as they do helpfully angry

you know, "oh, isn't she walking yet, mine was walking at 10 months" etc, etc, and I have now got myself in a state about it! I've never been a competitive mum in developmental matters and therefore have not been dragging her round by her armpits since the age of 6m wink.

I am 7m pg with dc2 and finding it really difficult to carry her. Dh and myself are encouraging her, and she can actually take 1 or 2 steps towards us. However, she thinks it's absolutely hilarious, and literally folds in the middle because she's laughing so much, making it a bit tricky to walk.

What else can we do to encourage her? I thought that push-along toys might run away without her until she's a bit more confident, but maybe they would help. She has a large playpen which she loves and cruises around. She loves being out on the floor or in the garden. Unfortunately we can't yet let her run around whole house as we are in middle of renovating and not safe. She goes to 2 different baby groups with me, and is taking an increasing interest in other babies who are walking - hoping this will help.

PrettyCandles Fri 03-Jul-09 22:41:52

Tough to be pg with a non-walker. OTOH, when baby is born it will be very convenient to be able to just strap both dcs into the buggy, and not have a rebellious sloooooooow walker.

She'll walk when she's ready. You can't really make her walk any earlier. The pushalong toys would be great for her, I'm sure, and some are well-balanced and won't run away with her.

She sounds lovely!

hf128219 Fri 03-Jul-09 22:46:55

Don't worry! My dd is nearly 18 months old and has only just started walking. They do it when they are good and ready! smile

smallchange Fri 03-Jul-09 22:47:19

She could walk any day or it could be a little while. Tbh I don't think you can encourage them, they just do it when they're ready smile

My neice (14mo) started walking last week. One day she was cruising, the next day she took her first steps and when I saw her yesterday she was so confident on her feet!

Ignore the "isn't she walking yet?" comments. They're all so different and your dd not walking quite yet is totally average for her age.

littleboyblue Fri 03-Jul-09 22:52:31

My ds1 started at 14 months and took really quickly.
I started walking at 17 months.
They all do it whenthey're ready. How about a little push along car thing or something that she can lean her weight on?

simpson Fri 03-Jul-09 22:55:48

My DD is 7mths and still not walking.

TBH I am getting sick of the comments "oh still not walking I see" rather than asking how she is iyswim angry

She does like her ride on toy.

I have to put her on it but she can scoot backwards and forwards pretty well now which has improved her confidence on her feet.

Smithagain Fri 03-Jul-09 22:56:42

I don't think you can speed it up, beyond letting her play with pushalong toys, have space for cruising etc.

DD2 stood alone at 13 months and didn't take a step until 17 months. It was maddening and I can imagine it's v hard work while pg.

simpson Fri 03-Jul-09 22:59:14

Oops meant 17mths obv. blush

hf128219 Fri 03-Jul-09 23:04:09

It's all such a load of rubbish isn't it? Let them be - and do things when they are ready!

eeky Fri 03-Jul-09 23:44:03

Thanks for reassurance everyone,and thanks prettycandles - she is lovely! She's a real chuckler.

pispirispis Fri 03-Jul-09 23:50:16

My dd's 14 months and has only started toddling around in the last few days. She was very into her crawling and had been cruising for months too. I didn't think of 14 months as particularly late, tbh! blush

She loves her push along walker with blocks in it, would definitely recommend one of those!

blithedance Fri 03-Jul-09 23:59:23

Get a thick skin. DS2 was over 18mths when he took first steps. We spent ages encouraging him "Walk to Mummy" (lauch tottering child across lounge) "Walk to Daddy" (launch back again) and spent the next year trying to persuade him that running around like a lunatic is not actually what meets our approval.

GreenPenguin Sat 04-Jul-09 09:03:44

Mine is also 14 mo and not walking. Do get a walker, though (although if renovating, have you got a garden path or a park nearby?) We've got the basic fisher price one (cheap in argos) as well as a more expensive VTECH. Both great, and don't run away after a couple of days' practice.

JFly Sat 04-Jul-09 20:33:44

My DS (15.5 months) started taking steps at about 14 months and properly walking about 3 weeks ago. Before 12 months, he didn't move! He's the second to last of my NCT group to walk. Other babies I know cruised and walked holding fingers for months before walking independently. So it's all much of muchness. I was a bit worried, but most everyone said he will do it in his own time. Don't worry about other babies' schedules - it will just stress you out.

If you do want to get a walker, the Brio wooden cart is good because you can adjust the resistance on the wheels so it doesn't go speeding off. I found it was great for DS on our wood floors.

Haribosmummy Sat 04-Jul-09 20:45:54

Hi Eeky!

I have a 13MO and am 8 months PG with number 2. I am desperate for him to be walking by the time No. 2 arrives, but I don't think it's going to happen.

I would def. recommend a walker (either one that provides a little stability - but try to borrow one as your LO won't want it for long) or better, a cart with blocks in it. My DS can now happily toddle from one part of the house to another holding that and be totally confident.

I agree with others on this thread - 14 months is pretty standard, NOT late.

(DS also 'crumples' in the middle when you try to make him stand and he does't want to!!! Trouble is, it's funny to watch, then I start laughing, which makes him worse and I have togive up as he thinks it's a game!)

pispirispis Sun 05-Jul-09 10:20:29

Just an update, my dd is now walking all the time and not crawling any more at all. She falls over a lot onto her bum and hands, but she's getting steadier very quickly and now can walk around the whole park. All in the space of a week! Just goes to show how quickly it can happen.

I didn't encourage her at all and she hated me holding her hands so she's done it all herself. The walker did run away from her for the first few days, and I did have to hold it for her and walk along with her hunched over for a couple of days (getting a sore back in the process!) but she got the hang of it very quickly. So there you go OP, maybe yours will learn to walk as quickly as mine and your problem is solved! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now