Talk

Advanced search

nappy change is becoming really stressful - help please!

(20 Posts)
ineedalifelaundry Fri 03-Jul-09 12:13:00

[posted this on nappies topic too but thought I might get better response here]

My 10month old DD absolutely hates having her nappy changed. Actually, what she hates is lying on her back or staying still for long enough to let me change her. She twists and thrashes around, making it almost impossible for me to perform the task. I find myself having to force her to stay still and I'm frightened of using brute force - it just seems wrong when she's screaming and distressed and I'm holding her down, and I'm scared of inadvertently hurting her. It's also largely ineffective because I don't have enough hands to hold her still and change a nappy.

I have tried distracting her with a toy - this works only occasionally. I have also tried changing her on my knee with her face down, and with her standing up leaning on me. Both of these positions make it nigh on impossible to fasten the nappy at the front.

Is her behaviour normal? How can I make nappy changes less stressful for both of us?

bamboobutton Fri 03-Jul-09 12:18:00

i feel your pain!

16mo ds is impossible! i've resorted to lying him on the nappy and wrestling it through his legs, while holding his wildly bucking hips down with the other hand, then laying his legs out straight and gripping them with my own legs so i can get it done up.

tis very, very frustrating.

Elk Fri 03-Jul-09 12:30:13

Don't know if it will help but I always used to change dd2 in front of the tv so she could watch cbeebies.

GiraffeAHolic Fri 03-Jul-09 12:34:12

2 words.......................Pull Ups!

I went through this with dd 15 months, she ran away, she bounced, she twisted, we both shrieked.

I now use pull ups (at the moments Pampers Easy Ups as they're on offer)

They're much better, I can pull them down with dd standing up and she loves stepping into and out of them.

They're very absorbant and look a lot more comfortable than regualr nappies.

fatslag Fri 03-Jul-09 12:34:17

Been there, done that... I gave up trying to make ds2 lie down and changed him standing up. Sometimes a rather messy process, but I just couldn't handle physically pinning down a screaming baby.

If it's any help, like everything else, this is just a phase. Now he actually cooperates and puts his feet in when asked to do so.

Of course, for dh (on the very few occasions when dh changed him), ds2 was as good as gold leading to comments such as "you should just be firm with him" and "FGS who's in charge? You or him?" angry

smee Fri 03-Jul-09 12:39:21

Make the distraction unusual things that she doesn't normally have - we had a bag of weird things - eg: clothes clip, little battered radio, small old alarm clock that ticked loudly, big bunch of keys, an old curved spoon, colourful string, etc, etc. it's okay if they're unusual and even a bit risky as you're right there with her, so she can't harm herself. If you make it a surprise and exciting the distraction'll work.

Acinonyx Fri 03-Jul-09 15:14:57

I used a much-loved dvd to get dd's nappies changed (was a nightmare). At 12 months, she pointed to her nappy and said 'poo' then pointed to the TV and said 'bear' (her name for the dvd - Jungle Book). I dutifully got out the mat andd set it up - and there was no poo!! She tricked me!

I learned to check first after that wink It worked really well though - unless we were out somewhere.....

preggersplayspop Fri 03-Jul-09 15:19:53

Another vote for pull ups here. My DS hates/hated being on his back and I don't like holding him down (its stressful for both of us and he's bloody strong). I often chase him around the room then pull him onto my lap and distract him with a book while I whip the nappy on.

Acinonyx Fri 03-Jul-09 15:51:20

We did switch to pullups later - but I was never good at changing poopy pullups with her standing up - still needed her to lie down else chase escaping poop across floor much to dd's delight....

CherryChoc Fri 03-Jul-09 15:56:02

That is such a good idea! Do they sell pull-ups to fit an 18lb8oz 9 month old? I always thought they were a potty training thing.

Confuzzeled Fri 03-Jul-09 15:58:52

We had this too and pull ups were the answer.

Mine grew out of it as she got older. I usually sing a song or give dd something to play with that she's not usually aloud, a compact mirror, my glasses etc..

reikizen Fri 03-Jul-09 16:00:06

I'd go with the standing up, pull ups if possible technique. It's perfectly normal and after a while it will take you about 10 seconds to change them standing up. If it's on a bit lopsided you can neaten up later!

difficultdecision Fri 03-Jul-09 17:48:09

standing up for wet, lying down (and pinned down) for dirty. I only have experience of one so it could be fluke but it took DS about 2 weeks to get the idea that he really did have to lie down on the rare occasions I insisted and after about 2 months he went back to being easy to change.

booksgalore Fri 03-Jul-09 21:35:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MildredRoper Fri 03-Jul-09 21:44:08

fatslag - my dd is the same, good as gold with dh. Also when my dad is looking after her.

Why is this?

I couldn't find pull ups to fit dd as she is quite small. Does anyone know what sizes they come in?

fatslag Sat 04-Jul-09 16:07:36

I use washables and I sewed them into little pullups. It got soooo much easier and the occasional need to wipe poo off the legs with a wet wipe more than compensates for not having to fight.

Mildred, kids are always better behaved with everybody other than Mummy is the only conclusion I can come to.

chaosisawayoflife Sat 04-Jul-09 20:36:52

this is the answer to all your problems. Seriously, it's changed my life!

smee Sat 04-Jul-09 21:27:26

Ah but a practised pin down technique is so much cheaper. Only joking grin

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 04-Jul-09 21:31:32

I got a v shaped changing mat which has helped no end as very hard to turn over in it, plus a toy that she only gets on the mat.

HerbWoman Sun 05-Jul-09 14:27:22

I did booksgalore's last suggestion with DD (and occasionally with DS, but he wasn't as difficult to change) - if you duck down closer to their feet whilst doing the change you can play peepo quite well over the top of the knee above their chest. They both actually enjoyed it then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now