Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Self soothing 5 month old - anyone with a magic cure to help me achieve this aim??

(7 Posts)
LittleMammaTo2 Wed 01-Jul-09 10:27:22

My DS is coming up to 5 months old - he used to be a great sleeper. i could put him in his cot, give hima kiss, leave the room and more often than not he would be asleep before I closed the door.

He then got croup and has been a nightmare for the past 5 weeks. He won't go to sleep by himslef during the day without a massive screaming fit and wakes constasntly during the night crying and whinging.

Anyone got any tips on how I can get back to him going to sleep on his own and how to settle the nights out a bit???

Please................sleep deprivation is taking it's toll now

Hulla Wed 01-Jul-09 10:52:43

My 5 month old dd is exactly the same, Although she never self soothed! I have never left her to try but I am fairly sure I know how it would pan out! grin

Our naptimes have recently turned into a nightmare and bedtimes did too at around 4 months. We resolved the bedtime thing by cosleeping (it calmed her down a lot and meant I got more sleep).

Naptimes, when she is crying with tiredness and fighting sleep I put her in the sling and either go out or do the house work. Works like a charm.

Neither of those are probably what you want to hear but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

Apparently it passes...doesn't feel like it so far! grin

LittleMammaTo2 Wed 01-Jul-09 13:25:09

Hulla I totally sympathise. My DD is just over 2 and never ever settled to sleep on her own. I did a lot of co-sleeping and a lot of pram pushing hence I was trying my best to get self soothing under way with DS.Not sure it's gonna happen though!! smile

Hulla Wed 01-Jul-09 18:14:09

You're a stronger person than me! I just couldn't face the battle emoticon grin

CurryMaid Wed 01-Jul-09 18:17:37

We did pick up put down from the baby whisperer solves all your problems at 5 months and it worked a treat.

Prior to that DD could only sleep if if rocked in her crib with the hairdryer on.

We had to do something when she moved to her stationery cot.

Hulla Wed 01-Jul-09 18:27:32

oops [pushover emoticon]

seeker Wed 01-Jul-09 18:33:32

I'm really sorry, but the magic cure is time. it won't go on forever - even if it feels that way now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now