Talk

Advanced search

thumb sucking

(7 Posts)
purplepassion Tue 30-Jun-09 22:25:01

my dentist has advised that my ds 6 should stop sucking his thumb. he only sucks it at night when going to sleep. I have tried talking to him and he says he will try but as soon as i'm out of the room the thumb goes in! I've tried putting a plaster on but the little monkey takes it off when i've gone out the room any ideas please

plonker Tue 30-Jun-09 22:31:26

No ideas on how to stop it, but just wanted to let you know that my dd1 sucked her thumb (just to go to sleep like your ds) up until she was 7/8 and then she just grew out of it.

I didn't do anything. In fact, I'm not sure it was even mentioned??

It was just one of those things. I just asked dh if he could remember the last time that x had sucked her thumb - he couldn't and I couldn't - she had just stopped.

She is now 9.5

purplepassion Tue 30-Jun-09 22:33:57

i did wonder about doing that, thats how i stopped but was worried cos the dentist said it

plonker Tue 30-Jun-09 22:34:06

No ideas on how to stop it, but just wanted to let you know that my dd1 sucked her thumb (just to go to sleep like your ds) up until she was 7/8 and then she just grew out of it.

I didn't do anything. In fact, I'm not sure it was even mentioned??

It was just one of those things. I just asked dh if he could remember the last time that x had sucked her thumb - he couldn't and I couldn't - she had just stopped.

She is now 9.5

plonker Tue 30-Jun-09 22:37:29

Hmmm, not sure what happened there, lol.

Yes, my dentist told me the same. My thoughts were though that she only sucked it at night and only whilst she went off to sleep (maybe 5/10 minutes) so I couldn't really see what harm it was doing.

I'm sure I would have felt differently if it had been damaging her teeth, or causing her to get teased. But then, maybe she wouldn't have grown out of it as easily if I had made a deal out of it? I don't know ...

Emsy32 Tue 30-Jun-09 22:46:51

Hi there, my dentist has been telling me the exact same thing about my daughter, but she only really sucks her thumb at night. Plus i'm 32 and still sucking my thumb so it would be a bit hypocritical for me to tell her she can't!! i've never had any problem with my teeth and they dont stick out at all from all those years of sucking my thumb. I think it's something they will eventually grow out of, for instance i always used to have my thumb in my mouth, but now it's only now and then when i'm trying to relax. God i sound pathetic don't i!!!

barnsleybelle Tue 30-Jun-09 22:47:01

totally irrelevant but i read a recent thread on here about a mum who stopped dating a guy as she caught him sucking his thumb.
I was amazed at the amount of replies she got from mums who were still thumb sucking.
The reason i was so interested is that dd 22 months is a full on, can't leave it alone thumb sucker. Looks like i'm in it for the long haul grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now