Talk

Advanced search

If you had a sicky baby...

(35 Posts)
shish Tue 30-Jun-09 15:37:21

..when did it get any better?? Or when did it stop??

Ds2 is 14 weeks old and, although it's better thatn it was he still keeps on bringing up milk. Sometimes during a feed and sometimes in between - so frustrating!!!

clemette Tue 30-Jun-09 15:43:14

DS was about about seven months. He had reflux related to CMP intolerance but luckily he was one of the ones who grew out of it once his muscles strengthened.

shish Tue 30-Jun-09 19:22:56

Anyone else?

cece Tue 30-Jun-09 19:32:06

DD had reflux. It stopped gradually after she started to walk - so at 13 months (ish)

traceybath Tue 30-Jun-09 19:34:33

7-8 months - basically once he as sitting up well unaided.

acebaby Tue 30-Jun-09 19:35:12

DS1 and 2 were both sicky babies, but didn't have reflux. It started to improve at 6 months and had virtually stopped by 10 months.

Grammaticus Tue 30-Jun-09 19:35:43

DS1 about 12 months. Loads and loads of sick - after and in between feeds. Nothing wrong with him, no reflux, no distress, no crying, weight gain more than the weight charts wanted (ie he went up the chart) - just messy. Had to wear a bib all the time, I always had a muslin over my shoulder.

DS2 about 6 months IIRC (you don't care so much second time round!)

Don't worry. Mine both slept really well so I thought that was a fair trade for loads and loads of washing.

artifarti Tue 30-Jun-09 19:42:40

I asked this same question a few months ago! DS was revoltingly sicky. He stopped at 7-8 months too and now is 10 months and very rarely does it. Again, nothing wrong with him, just messy for me. I finally packed away my muslins just this week...

ExplodingBananas Tue 30-Jun-09 19:44:25

My DS improved alot when he got some meds (not till 4 months hmm) and has just had another improvement with taking a small amount of yoghurt and solids at 6 months.

He's still bring some back but he's alot better and the piles of washing are more weaning related then reflux!

LIZS Tue 30-Jun-09 19:50:39

when she started to walk but is still prone to vomiting easily at 7!

shish Tue 30-Jun-09 19:59:45

He doesn't have reflux and his weight gain is fine. Just keeps bringing up milk - although, as I said, not as bad as before. Ds1 wasn't like this and I'm fed up of him having to wear a bib all the time - and having to keep on changing his clothes! HV tells me it tends to go after they start solids and when they're sitting.

MadMazza Tue 30-Jun-09 20:03:25

My HV said it can be due to them overfeeding ie not recognising when they are full. My son was always sick after the final bottle at night (sometimes had extra and then brought the lot back and fell asleep instantly!)He grew out of it at six months when weaned.

Dotty38 Tue 30-Jun-09 20:15:10

No advice really other than to say hello and I have same prob with DD. We met on a morning sickness thread ages ago! Congratulations on your baby son. I had a little girl. But anyway....

My DD is always sick during, after and inbetween feeds. I keep a muslin tucked into her vest all day. I was thinking about going to the docs with it as health visitor told me it could be reflux. But shes gaining weight beautifully and never seems distressed by it, apart from at the last feed before bed when she's totally knackered she then tends to have a meltdown if shes sick.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 30-Jun-09 20:16:43

Five months with us DS was very sicky, DD never vomited.

kwaker5 Tue 30-Jun-09 21:11:28

When he could sit up well on his own. He wore a bib almost constantly until he was about 9 months old. I was quite shocked to find that DD didn't - I assumed all babies did!

shish Wed 01-Jul-09 07:03:11

Very frustrating as ds1 wasn't like this. Not always with a vomiting reflex but almost like milk just coming out of his his mouth!

Hi Dotyy38. Congratulations to you too.

happywomble Wed 01-Jul-09 07:15:35

It went on till at least 9 months I think. DS was never happy lying on his back probably due to his windy/sicky problems.

He rolled over to sleep on his front as soon as he was able to and slept much better after that. During the day he used to like sitting in one of those Mamas and papas baby chairs that can be set to almost horizontal when they are tiny and then moved to higher settings at 3 and 5 months. He spent some time on the baby gym but always with a muslin square under his head!

He was more prone to sick bugs as a toddler but has never suffered from travel sickness which is a relief.

I think the best thing to do is to try to keep your baby upright for as long as possible after a feed and buy lots of muslin squares...in a few years you will have forgotten this stage ever happened.

posieparker Wed 01-Jul-09 07:17:30

7-8 months for two dcs, the other changed when we cut out dairy, including my breastmilk.

stealthsquiggle Wed 01-Jul-09 07:23:30

DD was more of a 'leaky' baby. It didn't bother her in the least, she was gaining weight, etc, but she was constantly bringing up little bits of milk. She continued to be 'wet' in one form or other for most of her first 18 months, progressing directly from sicky to extraordinarily dribbly, but eventually grew out of that too. One of my friends described her as 'possibly the wettest child I have ever met' hmm

(OP I feel for you - my DS was never like that and I found the constant bibs / wet clothes very wearing as well. From what I remember my HV said the same as yours and was more or less right (apart from the dribbling!))

Confuzzeled Wed 01-Jul-09 07:31:32

My dd was a very sicky baby, little vomits all the time. I understand it can be quite wearing after a while, loads of washing and people get a bit freaked out when they get puked on.

DD stopped when she started on solids at 6 months, in fact she had completely stopped by 7 months. So it probably won't last long.

You can get some vanilla essence to help with the smell of milk on your shoulder.

cory Wed 01-Jul-09 08:13:28

ds stopped when he moved onto solids, which was at 6 months or so (started gently at 4 months), but dribbled for quite a while

Schulte Wed 01-Jul-09 08:34:58

9 months. DD1 was crawling by that time and left little puddles of orange sick everywhere (don't feed them sweet potato, carrot or tomato!). She had to have new bedding every day, several changes of clothes, got a rash from constantly being wet around her mouth and 2 years on, I still find splashes of dried milk on furniture and walls. It's very frustrating while it lasts, but one day you'll look back and find it quite funny. Good luck!

shish Wed 01-Jul-09 09:13:43

The dribbling I can handle. They're like that when they're teething. It's the milk everywhere that's the battle. I'm hoping that HV is right, and looking at most of the responses she might be.

Confuzzeled people hate getting puked on. This morning poor ds1 got hit by baby puke for the first time - on his favourite t-shirt!!

Hppaywomble luckily his sleep is fine so that's a good thing.

CMOTdibbler Wed 01-Jul-09 09:25:08

Ds was a definate over feeder - he would guzzle from me, and then puke up what he didn't need - he grew hugely, so it wasn't a concern. Stopped when he was 7 months or so.

Friends baby was a puker too- she didn't stop until a year or so

do you have a really strong let down?
my milk shoots like a power shower. i find that if i wait until it;s done to latch baby on she doesn't spit up as much (still spits up though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now