Talk

Advanced search

10 m old just started crawling but dragging one leg - is that normal?

(10 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Tue 30-Jun-09 09:08:08

He uses one to propel himself but the other just drags along, and he goes in bursts. Is that normal? I am sure my DS1 just crawled on his knees/shins...

nellyup Tue 30-Jun-09 09:16:22

My ds did that, now is 5 and walks/ runs/ climbs perfectly normally. He didn't crawl for long though, was walking by 11 months.

madwomanintheattic Tue 30-Jun-09 09:17:44

does he weightbear on it when you 'stand' him up to say hello? kick it normally when he's rolling around on the floor/ in the bath? sit with both legs moving around for support/ leaning etc?

nannyL Tue 30-Jun-09 09:25:21

its not abnormal

thrifty Tue 30-Jun-09 09:48:54

ds did that, we called it the wounded commando crawl :-) my friends ds also did it. It didn't last for long, a couple of weeks later he was wearing out the knees in both sides of his trousers.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 30-Jun-09 09:58:14

DD did a weird sort of movement. It was like a bottom shuffle, but she stuck the other one out at the back. Went very fast. And at 3.9 moves completely normally smile

LadyOfWaffle Tue 30-Jun-09 10:12:40

He does weightbear on both legs... Me just being paranoid Thanks

madwomanintheattic Tue 30-Jun-09 10:37:23

tis v common. grin

but having a dd with cerebral palsy i always like to make sure there are no other issues with muscle tone or movement before i say 'oh, they all do that' grin

that said - she had a beautiful reciprocal crawl... at two wink

madwomanintheattic Tue 30-Jun-09 10:37:49

i love 'wounded commando' though... grin

Expectant Tue 30-Jun-09 13:17:03

LoW my DS does this and as I had a problem with my hips when I was a baby I went to check it out but was told his hips were checked at birth and also they checked them again at his 9 month assessment for me. If you pull his legs straight (whilst he's on his front)and the creases on his thighs line up then it's fine (probably a bit simplified and non-scientific). He's just started walking as well and doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now