Talk

Advanced search

When do children learn their volume level?

(18 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 29-Jun-09 21:17:21

My DD will be four in October, and she is very, very loud. Incredibly loud. I do keep telling her to use her "indoor voice" but she's still really loud. At what age do they actually heard their own volume? Its not an issue, aside from an ear drum perspective grin, just wondering!

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 30-Jun-09 01:54:53

I have trained mine and now he has several volumes although regularly proves his chosen volume is loud. But can stick to quieter volumes if requested and reminded. We had a good trick for getting this undercontrol which was fun and eventually worked. Ds is now 4 1/2 and we started training at 3 1/2 so it takes time but it eventually clicks. Unfortunatly i found ds wasnt gaining on own but really had to be taught but that is how it has been for most stuff so you might be lucky.

WoTmania Tue 30-Jun-09 07:59:08

How did you 'train' him? My DS is also VERY LOUD.

RubberDuck Tue 30-Jun-09 08:27:33

Still waiting for ds2 (aged 5) to find his volume control.

ScummyMummy Tue 30-Jun-09 08:47:17

Sorry to rain on hopeful parades but my 10 year olds still have trouble with this!

HellHathNoFury Tue 30-Jun-09 08:59:15

My 2 year old does understand 'being quiet'.
If we tell him to be quiet, he does.

However, it usually only lasts for a few moments and then it's back to waking the neighbours.

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 30-Jun-09 09:04:05

DSD is almost 6 and only has "extremely loud" in her volume repertoire

screamingabdab Tue 30-Jun-09 11:24:08

Just to say, all of you, do check out their hearing, if you haven't already done so. DS1 had glue ear for a while before we realised.

I think there are probably a lot of children with un-diagnosed hearing loss out there

HerbWoman Tue 30-Jun-09 14:16:14

Agree with screamingabdab - DD (9) started talking at a more reasonable volume after we had her ears syringed. I hadn't realised there was so much wax in there until she came in one day and couldn't hear at all in one ear.

NellieTheEllie Tue 30-Jun-09 14:24:02

My son has been diagnosed with glue ear and I asked the senior audiologist if this could explain his very loud voice. She shook her head and said "i'm afraid that is due to him being three!!"

anniebear Tue 30-Jun-09 15:16:44

mine are nearly 8 and Im still waiting for the volume control!

anniebear Tue 30-Jun-09 15:17:35

mine are nearly 8 and Im still waiting for the volume control!

MummyDragon Tue 30-Jun-09 16:59:42

I put my DS' loud volume (he's 5 and has grommets so his hearing is perfect now) down to childish exuberance, and when I get some rare free time I spend it doing something VERY quiet to compensate! Libraries are good smile

lou031205 Tue 30-Jun-09 19:12:38

DD1 is either very quiet, or very loud.

DD2 is either very loud, or even louder!

OrangeFish Tue 30-Jun-09 19:15:40

My mother says that she still hopes the day will come when she could make my younger sister spit out the mic she must have swallowed when my mother was not looking... Mum has been waiting for 35 yrs now...

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 30-Jun-09 20:26:31

lol
She did have her 3-4 yr development review the other day and I said I was concerned about her hearing as she often doesn't hear what we say (have to repeat several times) but they weren't concerned.
Guess I could take her back to the docs and see what they say. She is VERY loud. People comment on it to me/my parents/the childminder just how loud she actually is, in a "blimey, you know you've got her" kind of way.

DidEinsteinsMum Thu 02-Jul-09 10:29:39

WoTmania: Sorry been away from net for a few days.

We used an imaginary volume control button on ds. To start off with I used to say his volume was to loud and we needed to turn it down like we did the tv. He used to try different volumes whilst i turn the imaginary button on him. When he got to an acceptable level he was told that was a good level and sent on his way. he was reminded every 5 mins for 15-20mins using same manual turning down. When he really got the hang of it and needed less reminding he was asked to turn his own volume button down when he got too loud, with similar reminder structure. When this was more consistant he was then verbally reminded to reduce his volume control.
But we also have a mad half hour when we do games and activities when loud volume is ok. Eg play with friends - when screaching is not accepted but shouting is. But gaining a concept that there is an appropriate time and place for loudness.
I think it took around 6 months but now he will speak at a more acceptable volume most of the time. And only needs to be told to turn the volume down to a more acceptable level for a more acceptable level to be maintained.

The first part can be made a hoot and can be lots of fun especially if they are into things like robots. And it is easier on 3-4yo then older kids who might not like the approach.

screamingabdab Thu 02-Jul-09 13:47:34

Elf Did they do a hearing test, or just take a history?

We discovered DS1s glue ear at age 4. Clues were him standing close to the telly, turning it up, and also him saying "What did you SAY ?" a lot.

Turns out he had quite bad glue ear, and had been relying on lip-reading to a surprisingly large extent. I think it also made him uncomfortable in large groups like playgroup, because the sounds get all distorted and booming, like being under water.

Of course some children are just quite loud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now