Talk

Advanced search

opinions about dd's speech development

(10 Posts)
101StressPuppy Sun 15-May-05 21:11:07

DD is very almost 3 and I am starting to notice particular sounds are not developing as I would have expected them too.

She has an enourmous vocabulary but specifically has trouble with two sounds, in both cases she pronounces them as a 'd' sound. The sounds she has problems with are 'th' and 'g'/'j' sounds

eg

that is pronounced dat
the = duh
george = dordge
jug = dug

rough translation obviously

Is this normal? I don't notice it in other chidren of her age.

101StressPuppy Sun 15-May-05 21:11:16

tia btw

Katemum Sun 15-May-05 21:19:07

My son's name begins with J and he still can't pronounce it at 41/2. His speech was delayed and he was assessed by salt a year ago but she was happy that he was making progress and did not want to continue seeing him. I listen to his friends at nursery, all the same age, and their speech is no clearer than his.

piffle Sun 15-May-05 21:21:09

the j sound comes from d ( d ye) so it sounds as though she is on the right track - you can try and break the sounds down to see if she would copy you, it is habit remember once she has learned a word a certain way so you have to be consistent, but I think it is better to be low key and not make a huge deal about it.
I know several kids of school age who still are unable to make the th sound as well

My dd is 2.5 and has TONS of sounds missing and has still been assessed by Speech Therapy as being within age normal development
So try not to worry

101StressPuppy Sun 15-May-05 21:22:05

I don't think there is any other sound that she has problems with so not overly worried but thought Id canvas opinion before as was thinking about giving HV a call to ask.

Katemum Sun 15-May-05 21:23:40

My post wasn't at all clear was it. I meant to say that his being unable to pronounce J was not concerning me at all.

101StressPuppy Sun 15-May-05 21:24:24

I tend to repeat her quite often as I think it helps build vocabulary, then rephrase etc to develop the use of new words.

I think I feel satisfied that it's normal just from the few replies so far. Will keep an eye on it!

Jimjams Sun 15-May-05 22:12:22

ds2 can't say 'g' or "k" (not sure about th- can say j) SALT said it was entirely normal (he's past 3) and told me not to even work on it. (He was referred as he was completely incomprehensible at 2.5- apart from the k/g sounds everything else is in place now)

101StressPuppy Mon 16-May-05 13:53:36

Thanks all. You have satisfued me that I don't need to be worried at all.

It sounds like these sounds develop later than others.

Thanks again. While I'm here is there anyone who knows anything about muscle spasms when tired/going to sleep? It probably is another thread but I don't want to appear nuerotic.

She's done it snce birth I first askd the HV about it when she was a few weeks but she said spasms are fairly normal in children who have difficult births. She is soon 3 and is still doing it, I have not spoken to HV since about this as it never really bothered me but it seems to be becoming more noticable/pronouced movement the bigger she gets

101StressPuppy Mon 16-May-05 16:10:09

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now