Talk

Advanced search

puberty in 27kg girl?

(3 Posts)
ifnotwhynot Sun 28-Jun-09 08:28:17

My daughter seems to have hit puberty even though she weighs only 27kg - is that normal? She is 11, although very small for her age and she is developping little boobs and getting a bit whiffy!! I always thought that puberty was triggered at a much higher weight and she is also extremely active and I thought that this could delay puberty in itself. Any insights/experiences much appreciated!

joburg Sun 28-Jun-09 09:29:53

Puberty has to do with hormonal development not body weight. The pituitary gland is controling all the hormonal processes on a central level, and that has nothing to do with body weight but with the moment when the gland starts releasing the female/male hormons etc according to age. I'm not very good at explainig all this in English since English is not my mother tangue, sorry about it. Blood tests and hand x-rays will tell an endocrinologist all he needs to know about your DD's level of hormons as well as her bone age (that is a very important indicator of her development regarding her bones development, if she grows in height properly or not). 11 is a normal age for hitting puberty, despite her body weight, but if you are still worried about it, definitely contact an endocrinologist and make sure all goes well.

GhostOfPsychomum5 Sun 28-Jun-09 09:36:20

puberty is governed by hormones.

the weight thing tends to be the factor of when your periods start, which is normally well into puberty. (average is around 7st, but there are exceptions to that)

your DD is developing normally, so please don;t fret

FWIW, my eldest DD started puberty at 10, she was teeny then (about 4st IIRC)........her periods started just before she turned 14, and she was 6.5st at that point so was about right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now