Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

my DS is terrified of flies and it's doing my head in!!!!!

(5 Posts)

DS is 3.9yrs. He's always been really sensitive to noise. And I dread the summer months because we have doors and windows open which leads to flies coming in.
He SCREAMS when he sees one. I thought something bad had happened to him the other day, went running into the room expecting to see blood and...there was a bloody fly in the room.
"Kill it! Kill it!" he's yelling.

I'm so close to losing it with him. I can't take a whole summer of this. Please help!!

Walkingwiththighosaurs Thu 25-Jun-09 11:11:42

I too have the same problem with my DS and he is 9 yo! He absolutely hates any type of creepy crawlies. Even money spiders. He was in bed last night and he got up and insisted I went upstairs to kill a spider that was above his bed. When I got up there I could barely see it, it was so small! Now I have always had a hate of spiders and used to get my Dad to kill them in my bedroom when I was young but I have to admit they weren't money spiders. I always thought perhaps he got it from me but another mum told me that she is not afraid of them and picks them up shock but her DD is scared of them.

Don't really know what you can do about it, does he think it will hurt him? Perhaps you could explain that it won't. Sounds obvious I know, but he has picked up this fear from somewhere.

reikizen Thu 25-Jun-09 11:18:13

Oh god, dd1 does this sometimes. Tbh I just ignore her. I have explained they won't hurt her and just leave it at that. I just let her have a mini freak and get on with whatever I'm doing, I just don't want to reinforce her behaviour in any way. She loves woodlice, spiders, caterpillars so it must be the fact that flies move so quickly and unpredictably I suppose. She has improved so I expect it's an age thing, she's 5 now.

Nemoandthefishes Thu 25-Jun-09 11:20:40

sounds like dd1 and 2. they are 3.6yrs and 2.5 and they run in from the garden screaming about flies and in the house they leave a room if there is one.
No help sorry

well, at least i'm not alone! lol

DH has picked up a "magic" wink fly swatter today. Hopefully it'll help. I'll keep you posted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now