Talk

Advanced search

3 month old baby no longer stands and curls legs when picked up???

(12 Posts)
Worrier28 Thu 25-Jun-09 08:51:56

My 3 month old was quite happy to stand, bounce and play. Yesterday at a check up the doctor noticed that he curled his legs when picked up, she said at this stage it is nothing to worry about. Of course I am worried and obsessing about it as now he does not want to bear weight on his legs? Why has he suddenly stopped, has this happened to anyone else? Thanks

Worrier28 Thu 25-Jun-09 09:00:14

PS: He can lift he head, uses his legs to shuffle in his moses basket and sleeps on his tummy (not advised, I know).

rubyslippers Thu 25-Jun-09 09:02:04

at 3 months old they don't need to stand or bounce and certainly not weight bear

leg curling is quite usual if i remember correctly

whomovedmychocolate Thu 25-Jun-09 09:07:50

At birth they have an innate ability to pad legs as if walking but not bear weight. It is likely your baby was tired and not appreciative of a stranger attempting to manipulate him. That's not all that unusual. I'd not be happy if you picked me up and dangled me!

He sounds normal to me, your doctor sounds like a bit of a numpty though hmm

thisisyesterday Thu 25-Jun-09 09:08:15

it'x normal isn't it?
when they're newborns they do that walking reflex thingy, when you stand them up and they take steps

then they lose it and tend to curl legs up. i think.

thisisyesterday Thu 25-Jun-09 09:08:46

yeh, not sure why doctor felt it was worth mentioning if it was nothing to worry about.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 25-Jun-09 09:09:51

DD has surprisingly straight legs when first born, and she always curled her legs up for a long time. I cannot remember when she started but certainly it was very very normal for her to do so, when lifted up. She did bouncing and putting weight on much later.

The Dr would refer you like a shot if s/he thought there was anything wrong, honestly.

Worrier28 Thu 25-Jun-09 09:11:46

I really don't know what I would do without this mumsnet, thanks so much. I'm working on trying to be less obsessive but it is hard.

Niecie Thu 25-Jun-09 09:11:57

I don't remember my DS1 ever trying to stand when he was very young. It didn't stop him doing it later when his muscles were stronger.

I would trust the doctor and not worry about it. Your DS has begun to gain some control over his legs and can curl them up at will. Newborns are born with a reflex that makes them appear to stand and march is their feet feel the ground. I bet that has worn off, as it should, and he has yet to voluntarily put weight on his legs which is normal at 3 mths. There is plenty of time.

Worrier28 Thu 25-Jun-09 09:14:25

Not sure why she drew it to my attention as I am a worrier, noticed him doing it the other day and now its been pointed out I always notice it!

mumofoliver Sat 27-Jun-09 14:54:41

My Ds didn't weight bear until he was almost 13 months! The HV was starting to get concerned about 12 months but agreed to wait before referring him and luckily he then started to get the idea. He didn't walk till 18 months but is now over 2 and is fine. I wouldn't worry if I were you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now