Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Five month old turning over in sleep - how safe?

(8 Posts)
LoveActually Wed 24-Jun-09 20:11:25

My DD has started rolling over, she's just getting the hang of being able to pull her arm out but at night she rolls over and gets her arm stuck so it flops between the cot bars. She's lifting her head ok sbut I must say I find it worrying in case she suffocates while sleeping! Am I just being an anxious mum!?

Littlepurpleprincess Wed 24-Jun-09 20:14:16

If she can roll over by herself she will be fine. She will roll back if she is uncomfy, or scream!

You are being an anxious mum, but we all are until we've it done once. smile

littleboyblue Wed 24-Jun-09 20:17:09

I'm sure she'll be fine. My ds2 will only sleep if his arm is through the bars, but he is a bit odd grin
Now that she has better control, it is probably unlikely that she will suffocate, I think the danger is if you lay a very young baby on their front when they have no control at all iyswim.

Travellerintime Wed 24-Jun-09 20:20:49

Both dd and ds slept like this at your dd's age. Yes, I worried too, but I remember mentioning it to my hv, who was v relaxed about it - she just it was fine as long as no other SIDS risk factors eg smoking/over-heating.

funnypeculiar Wed 24-Jun-09 20:22:19

iirc, the guidance from FSID is that once they can roll, sleeping on front is fine - will check

LoveActually Wed 24-Jun-09 20:24:43

Thanks guys, am so relieved to have sensible mums netters around to put me straight!!! xx

funnypeculiar Wed 24-Jun-09 20:25:53

OK, looks like their advice has slightly changed:

FAQ - current topics

Also see our Ask the Experts page

(from www.fsid.org.uk/faq-current-topics.html

My baby keeps rolling onto his front. What should I do?
If your baby is less than six months old and you find him sleeping on his tummy, gently turn him onto his back. Don’t feel you need to keep getting up all night to check on this. Whatever your baby’s age, always place him to sleep on his back.

LoveActually Wed 24-Jun-09 20:28:37

Thanks funnypeculiar. Am going to try not to worry!! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now