Talk

Advanced search

Dyspraxia & Overflow of the bowel

(6 Posts)
Carens Wed 24-Jun-09 13:29:48

Hi there til recently i was certain i was mad - but after readin a few threads here im beginnin to see my sons problems in a new light. My son is 11yrs & now due in september to begin his new school life in secondary school a huge jump from the safety of primary that hes had. My lad has currently a statement of special educational needs with classromm assistance etc YET no one has ever told me be it via school or medical proffessions that there COULD be a chance his bowel problems & his Dyspraxia MAY be interconected! yet havin read a few threads before i now see there may well be a link to both. Hes been there & got the T- shirt as they say in regards to bein brought into hospital & gave various laxitives etc all of which ive felt have had no good in his behaviour ... what im askin i guess is there other mothers out there with kids livin with dyspraxia who soil them selves often without even noticin themselves(aka the child) so frequently durin the day & night or are we the only family that has thishmm

ChopsTheDuck Wed 24-Jun-09 13:38:19

ds1 sometimes does this. He seems to get an upset stomach where he doesn't seem to have any control over his bowel at all. It gets worse with stress. I assumed it was related to his dyspraxia but don't really know why it happens. Thankfully it is less frequent as he is getting older so I don't worry too much about it.

Carens Wed 24-Jun-09 13:44:11

smile 1 thing about my lad also is his affection hes so easy goin tho, hed love ya to death still often greetin me & other family members with huge hugs etc - mind you i am worried regards him bein too trusting towards others ....my lad will trust on 1st contact with everyone he meets assuming they will do him no harm unfortunately in this day & age that isnt a good trademark for a child to display..where as my youngest son who is 8 tends to be crafty he knows when to turn the charm on & who for ... i do worry over my 2nd tho & if this is a behavior associated with kids who have dyspraxia

ChopsTheDuck Wed 24-Jun-09 13:48:29

Might be worth asking the school if they have access to any social skills courses. A friend of mine with a son older than mine found that helpful.

My ds1 is only 7, and gradually starting to get more affectionate (was on another planet for the first 5 years or so!) and I love it! He still tends to blank strangers so we don't really have that problem. I think there can be a tendancy with dyspraxia though to take everythign at face value. ds1 can be very literal at times with people which causes issues.

Carens Wed 24-Jun-09 13:53:46

wink maybe im preachin to the converted but thought itd be a nice gesture to add here what the gods of google helped me find earlier today while i found yourselves for those with kids & family members who have dyspraxia

Dyspraxia Foundation

8 West Alley

Hitchin

Herts SG5 1EG

Tel. 01462 454 986 lines open Mon- Fri 10am - 1 Pm

Carens Wed 24-Jun-09 14:00:11

Yes my lad tends to take even the most flippent of comments seriously & what other kids would laugh off HE takes to heart...My sons always been very affectionate to me & rest of the family to be honest hes a blessing he dosent throw temper tantrums etc or get angry hes so gentle. My lad also seems to be of the nature that honestys the best policy as in hel often tell you what ever you ask of him - including if HE has done somthin other kids would deny at all costs hes straight in there admittin it what ever hes done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now