Talk

Advanced search

Tantrums and tears

(6 Posts)
LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Wed 24-Jun-09 10:22:33

My 6yo charge seems to have regressed back to the terrible twos. She has started having full on tantrums. Arms crossed, stamping feet, screaming and crying until she is hoarse. These can start all because I did not peel an apple, her hairbrush was in the wrong place etc
I have tried time outs, sending her to bed early, explaining what she is doing is wrong.
She is not tired, hungry or having problems at school. She is lazy I will admit and also the youngest of 4. She never sees her parents so I know that is a majoy contributing factor. I also know that it happens mainly when her Mum is at home and is leaving for work late. She also does not seem to realise what she is doing is wrong.
I do not want her behaviour to reflect badly ion me. I know it's not my fault but still Iwould love any ideas as to how you deal with tantrums. Thanks

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Wed 24-Jun-09 18:34:33

Anyone? She just had a huge tantrum in the car and tried to make me lose concentration by kicking the seat so hard I could not drive properly.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Thu 25-Jun-09 13:56:40

Well I tried
MN can't solve everything I guess

mamatilly Thu 25-Jun-09 14:19:31

just read your posts and want to say i really feel for you and for the girl - sounds like she is crying out for her mama, who is too busy to hear / see her ...

have you said anything to the parents about girl really needing quality time with them?

maybe you could also try scooping up girl in giant hugs, giving her some lovely attention - brushing her hair etc...

just ideas really, its a house of boys and babies here, but i do really feel for you x

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Thu 25-Jun-09 14:26:30

Thanks mamatilly. Was at the end of my tether yesterday. Nearly crashing the car was the breaking point. Mum knows but either chooses to ignore it or thinks it's funny I am not sure. I guess I will just have to soldier on. It is holidays soon and she will see her mum a lot then so maybe that and going into grade 2 will help.
Thanks again

baskingseals Thu 25-Jun-09 15:07:00

Just wanted to say that sometimes everybody needs to cry and let it all out. I know this can be really hard to deal with and I don't deal with tantrums brilliantly all the time, but have been trying to let them go for it a bit more, without feeling inadequate for not being able to stop it. If you possibly can, let her cry - it's ok to cry. Is she generally more amenable after a wobbly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now