Talk

Advanced search

'1-2-3 Magic' - recommendation

(11 Posts)
FouxDuFaFa Tue 23-Jun-09 18:41:22

I posted a few weeks ago about my 3.5 year old (can't find the thread now).

He was whining and tantrumming a lot. Hitting me, answering back and being generally unruly.

Someone recommended '1-2-3 Magic' by Thomas Phelan and I have to report things have improved enormously! grin

I was a bit sceptical when I saw how 'American' it looked, but the advice offered is very sensible and easy to digest.

Just wanted to say 'thank you' to whoever it was - sorry I can't remember who

Noonki Tue 23-Jun-09 18:50:48

I thought you meant saying 'I'm going to count to three...onnnneee etc'

which works like magic with my 3.8 year old grin

never read the book though!

ICANDOTHAT Tue 23-Jun-09 19:11:32

I'm a great fan of '1-2-3- Magic" and it may have been me as I live to spout off about it at any given opportunity. I'm glad it worked for you ! smile

FouxDuFaFa Tue 23-Jun-09 19:29:22

ICANDOTHAT - I think it was you! Thanks again

ICANDOTHAT Tue 23-Jun-09 22:07:16

I know what you mean about the 'American' sounding philosophy ... but when you cut through the 'Jerry Springer' style deliverance (I bought the audio CD) you get good, sound advice and Dr Phelan should know as he has a son with ADHD !

Nahui Wed 24-Jun-09 09:34:36

Message withdrawn

Buda Wed 24-Jun-09 09:38:15

I found it very good too. I found it particularly good for enabling me to stay in control instead of exploding in temper which is what had been happening.

Funny story though. I was trying this when DS was 3 (he is now almost 8 and has lived to tell the tale!) and one day he was doing something he shouldn't and I said "That's 1", he continued and I said "That's 2". He looked at me, hit me (lightly) and said "That's 3" and took himself off to the stairs! It took all my self control not to laugh. He never did it again thankfully!

madwomanintheattic Wed 24-Jun-09 09:40:28

lol, when we lived in canada they ran courses in the village. every parent there (it was quite a small village) was basically indoctrinated grin
worked though grin

Mums89 Thu 12-Nov-09 11:01:19

i have never heard of 1-2-3 magic i no i sound a bit naive but can someone help to understand how to do it and how it works

mrsshackleton Thu 12-Nov-09 11:29:10

I'm at the end of my tether with my 4.9 year old. Would this help or is she too old for it? Links please? grin

shinybaubles Thu 12-Nov-09 13:26:01

Brilliant book bought it when mine was 2 out of interest and I just have to say 1 and he behaves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now