Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Separation anxiety/teething/stroppiness?!

(5 Posts)
TarkaLiotta Mon 22-Jun-09 14:10:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TarkaLiotta Mon 22-Jun-09 14:27:31

MogTheForgetfulCat Mon 22-Jun-09 14:38:14

My DS2 is 16 months, and sounds similar - he often bellows if I leave the room, and if DH takes him upstairs to do his nappy, I hear "Ma-maaaaaaa!" being pitifully sobbed. If he wakes in the night, he goes nuts if DH goes to him, it has to be me. I think separation anxiety manifested in this way can go on till around 18 months or so? Think that's when DS1 started getting better with his, iirc.

DS2 also getting stroppy every now and then - gets v shirty if thwarted. I just give lots of cuddles and distraction. But if it's during a nappy change, I usually just grit my teeth and get it over with as fast as possible. I admit to finding his little rages quite amusing (that sounds cruel, it's not meant to!) because compared with DS1's current nuclear meltdowns, they're such small fry. But I didn't feel like that when DS1 started having wobblers at around the same age.

Not sure about teeth - DS2 has 10 teeth. Think DS1 had all of his by about 2.4 - but it was only the last 4 big molars that took that long, he had all the rest by 2.

TarkaLiotta Mon 22-Jun-09 14:54:27

Chunkamatic Mon 22-Jun-09 23:08:13

Also sounds just like my 16 mo DS too. Goes in to virtual meltdown if i leave him with anyone else (for all of 10 seconds and then i'm forgotten about!)

He too is teething right now - 4 coming through at the same time. It definately unsettles him.

As for the nappy changes, he protests every single time and i've just got to try and get them over with quickly and with as little mess as possible - I have mastered the art of putting on a clean one whilst he is standing/walking. He just doesn't want to stop being busy and has learnt how to let me know - loudly!

He's had a few real meltdowns in recent weeks and I put it down to being a bit overwhelmed and frustrated. They're still so little really but learning new things or trying to do new things all the time. It's bound to get on top of them - ha ha ha! I have mostly let him get on with it and let him come to me when he's ready for a cuddle - which is never very long - otherwise it winds him up more

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now