Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS NORMAL!!!

(10 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 21-Jun-09 20:52:53

DS 18 months is totally OBSESSED with plug sockets and light switches. I am at my wits end and totally panicing about safety.
Everytime we walk pass a light switch he HAS to turn it on and off and on and off. He pulls off the socket coveres and plugs things in, you can't leave the room for a second.
He wonders round dragging the hair dryer or laptop plug in hope he will find a socket!
This has been everyday for MONTHS!!! Should I be concerned?? He seems normal in most other ways, hard work, a bit hyperactive, intelligent......

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 21-Jun-09 20:58:03

My nephew's like this. My sister solved it by moving furniture infront of the sockets. He used to be a bugger for turning the TV over, she discovered he didn't like touching cotton wool so she stuck cotton wool on the tv buttons. This did the trick!
You know he's just copying you right? wink

Doodle2u Sun 21-Jun-09 20:58:08

It's normal!

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 21-Jun-09 20:59:45

Cotton wool on the switches??!!!! I wouldn't touch them either!!!
What are the changes he would blow himself up.......I am being serious......

MogTheForgetfulCat Sun 21-Jun-09 21:00:29

Dunno - hope it's normal, though, because my DS1 is still a bit like this (he's 3.4) and loves all things electrical/mechanical. his idea of heaven is to be allowed to put something in the microwave and turn the dial, or to watch someone mowing their lawn (or, if all else fails, to pretend a stick is a strimmer and to do our edges grin).

He never mastered the socket covers, though, so never had to negotiate that tricky one. But loved (and still loves) light switches, and opening and closing doors/gates quite obsessively. The obsessive nature of it has faded as he's got older, and it's now more of a very keen interest. But hopefully still "within normal parameters" as I tell myself!

TheArmadillo Sun 21-Jun-09 21:02:31

normal.

Ds was like this - absolutely obsessed. It's a complete pain. The socket covers were pointless as he could remove them easily. It is very tiring.

Try and block access to as many as you can with furniture.

Still is very interested in electrical stuff at 4.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 21-Jun-09 21:05:50

Not on the switches, sorry, I had ds talking to me at the same time. She puts it on the channel buttons on the TV so he won't touch them. blush

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 21-Jun-09 21:07:22

Could he blow him self up but not turning the plug OFF then pulling out a plug and plugging in another one??? The amount of times I have looked away for a second and had to leg it to stop him! blush

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 21-Jun-09 21:10:17

IIRC, they are still live, even when the sockets are turned off so your best bet is sticking a piece of furniture infront of the socket so he can't get to them at all.

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 21-Jun-09 21:12:16

Right, we are having a house make over tomorrow! Thanks ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now