Talk

Advanced search

Different types of crying in the newborn?

(10 Posts)
OzJo Fri 13-May-05 06:19:46

Not sure if this should go here or in the sleep section...Anyway, am due to give birth in 7 weeks, baby no 2, so not a complete novice. Several poeple have strongly recommended a video about different types of crying in newborn babies, ie, clenched fists and screwed up face if tired, something else if hungry etc. BUT they can't remember the name of the video, or further details.... I've been to the libabry, and all they seem to have is stuff on breastfeeding or Post Natal Depression.
Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about? A brief summary of the " types" would be fantastic...though I'm not labouring under the false impression that this will be a magic cure all, I'm trying to get as much extra, possibly useful info before plunging back into sleep deprivation hell.

gggglimpopo Fri 13-May-05 08:50:12

bump for you!

mummylonglegs Fri 13-May-05 10:03:47

another bump for you

Maddison Fri 13-May-05 10:43:10

Sorry, but another bump

Mud Fri 13-May-05 10:49:39

sounds like baby whisperer techniques to me - haven't seen a video but there's a summary in the baby whisperer book (chart style)

HTH

aloha Fri 13-May-05 10:52:20

Um, I saw that in the baby whisperer book too....and think it is just another thing to stress you out when you are a mother! I'm not sure newborns even know themselves why they are crying. My rule of thumb is, it's either hunger or tiredness, so feed them, wrap them up warm and try to help them sleep. It seems to be working with dd!

Mud Fri 13-May-05 10:55:35

i actually thought it worked, but from about 2months on - up until that time I'd just pick them up or put them to sleep or feed them like aloha said

after the 6 week to 2 month stage though you could pick up signs - I wouldn't follow it religiously because its different for each baby but because I watched what they were doing, looked at the chart in the baby whisperer book then tried the solution I got to know what each movement / expression combination actually meant and found it really easy to respond before over-tired / over-stimulated / hungry

I might have had placid easy babies anyway and I'll never know that but it worked for me - as long as you take my advice which is to never be ruled by the books but use them as a guide and if they don't work for you chuck 'em out (oh and never ever read contented baby book <runs screaming from the room)

starlover Fri 13-May-05 10:56:35

agree with aloha... i saw something about this on tv the other day and they were saying that in fact babies are so different that most of the "types" didn't fit the majority of babies... iyswim

tbh it doesn't take long to start distinguishing between cries, and you know better than anyone what your baby needs (ie, if you've just changed him/her then you can assume that it isn't that!)

OzJo Sat 14-May-05 11:11:31

OK, that's generally what I was thinking anyway, it's that paranioa that there's some secret magic method out there that will make it all easier ( sigh)...I know I have to just wait and see, and hopefully all will fall into place again. It's just been so nice to have our evenings back...

docket Sat 14-May-05 11:43:31

I spent the first two months of motherhood hunched over the Baby Whisperer chart about different types of crying and it got me nowhere! In fact, I think it got me a lot more stressed. Next time around I will be following the aloha method!

Good luck with the new baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now