Talk

Advanced search

my toddler can't seem to understand colours. is this normal?

(18 Posts)
kissmummy Wed 17-Jun-09 20:54:57

he is nearly two and despite a few months of us trying to teach him about colours (gently, of course, not day in day out or all the time) he still doesn't seem to get it at all. he will point at a black car and say red; or a red thing and say blue.
I'm really surprised by this but as a first time parent i'm not sure what age it would be normal to be able to recognise and name different colours? it just seems odd since he seems to learn everything else very quickly. colour blindness runs in the family which adds to my concern. when should i start getting worried?

uberalice Wed 17-Jun-09 20:56:45

I wouldn't worry. Probably not colourblindness - perhaps he's just not learned the labels yet - red, blue, black, etc. He's still quite young.

totalconfusion Wed 17-Jun-09 20:57:34

Does he like Thomas the Tank engine? My ds loves Thomas and he has learnt his colours through the engines (and his numbers). We also have colour blindness in the family - my ds is 30 months and can name colours and numbers. He does still get confused with some colours. I shouldn't worry yet.... Hope this helps a bit...

LackaDAISYcal Wed 17-Jun-09 20:58:47

My DD is just two and she is the same. She knows orange though thanks to the fruit so I'm not too worried about it.

I can't remember when my DS1 got it; certainly earlier than this and he is red/green colourblind, albeit to a mild degree in that pale versions of the colour all look grey to him.

Has he had his two year check yet? I'd have (and will do myself) a word with the HV about it but I'm sure it's within the scale of normal.

tvfriend Wed 17-Jun-09 20:59:52

DD is nearly 2- sometimes recognises colours, sometimes not- think it is luck sometimes. She can't say any colours. I don't think you should be worried at all.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 17-Jun-09 21:00:15

DS1 was a thomas fan from age 1 so perhaps that helped; he could certainly count to ten and recognise numbers by two thanks to Thomas and friends smile

FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 17-Jun-09 21:02:10

My ds is 2.1 and has only got the hang of about 5 colours, and still sometimes get confused between those at first attempt. I don't think it's colour blindness, just learning.

kissmummy Wed 17-Jun-09 21:18:56

thanks everyone, that's reassuring.

Lotster Wed 17-Jun-09 21:21:17

I remember saying the same thing about my son at his 2 year health check, he's now 2.10 and knows them well. Boys also take longer apparently.

stealthsquiggle Wed 17-Jun-09 21:25:15

a 'phase of randomness is entirely normal (IME of DD and DS)

Noonki Wed 17-Jun-09 21:29:52

deffo normal

DS1 is still convinced purple is pink (and he is 3)

DS2 is just getting it. I think it's good to start on two colours and let him get the concept.

mooki Wed 17-Jun-09 21:38:15

My DD is 21 months:

What colour is this, dd?
"Colour. Pink! Red! Lellow!"

How many are there dd?
"Two! Five! Free!"

I think it's pretty cool that she's got the hang of the concept at this point. Tiny little sponges that they are.

mooki Wed 17-Jun-09 21:38:30

My DD is 21 months:

What colour is this, dd?
"Colour. Pink! Red! Lellow!"

How many are there dd?
"Two! Five! Free!"

I think it's pretty cool that she's got the hang of the concept at this point. Tiny little sponges that they are.

SachaF Wed 17-Jun-09 21:43:54

My 2.5 yr old ds still struggles with colours - if it's a van it MUST be white and most cars are black, or red, or whatever preference is for the day (although tbh sometimes I look at cars and don't know what colour to tell him they are! Metallic silver bluey colour?)

talkingbook Wed 17-Jun-09 21:46:51

Perfectly normal to do some things better than others at this age.Ds insisted red was blue at this age and a few months later was fine on identifying all colours.

With regard to colour blindness in the family it is passed on through the mum from her dad so if it is not your dad I wouldn't worry at all about this either.

Eveiebaby Wed 17-Jun-09 22:20:11

MY little on was just coming up to three before recognizing any colours - she was a lot quicker with letters and numbers!

mamadoc Wed 17-Jun-09 22:42:19

DD 2yr 2months thinks that the answer to 'what colour is that?' is Greeeeeen! For absolutely anything.

Littlepurpleprincess Mon 22-Jun-09 15:15:47

At nearly 2 years old you are being WAY unreasonable expecting him to know colours. Give him a break, he's still just a baby.

You can help him learn by talking and describing what he is doing as he plays, and talking about what he is playing with.

eg "Oh yes, your putting the blue car in the red garage" etc.

And don't question him as he will feel as though he is being tested when he should be enjoying play.

The more you talk and engage with what he is doing, in a relaxed way, the more he will 'soak up'. Every time you say a colour you are giving him that piece of knowledge and reinforcing it with repeation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now