Talk

Advanced search

First Period Age 12 - Flooding and constant cramps

(21 Posts)
pepsi Wed 17-Jun-09 18:49:17

My 12 year old niece starting her periods on Monday and her Mum said to me that its been really heavy - she is flooding, crying all the time and aches all over her hips and has constant cramps, she said she has given her paracetamol but it has made the pain go away. She hasnt been to school this week because of it. Is she being very unlucky - I forget how my first one was but I dont remember anything like this. I hope this isnt what she has to look forward to every month!

pepsi Wed 17-Jun-09 18:49:51

Sorry, that should have read that the paracetamol has not made the pain go away.

smallchange Wed 17-Jun-09 18:52:20

Oh bless sad. I was exactly the same, albeit slightly older (14). My first period was hell and they were very heavy for the first few months and then settled down on their own.

I went on the pill aged 19 which was a revelation in terms of heaviness and pain (although as I say, it had got a lot better than at first) and even when I came off it at 23 my periods didn't go back to how they'd been. This is an option for her if things don't settle down.

PandaG Wed 17-Jun-09 18:52:41

Ibruprofen helped me as a child - think I had it as 'Feminax' which is brufen and something else. Poor love.

Ivykaty44 Wed 17-Jun-09 18:53:01

vitamin b12 for all the days that she is having her period - this will help a bit to dilate the blodd vessels to avoid the cramps.

smallchange Wed 17-Jun-09 18:53:27

I can remember crouching on a stool in science class absolutely twisted in pain. Maybe try something stronger? Co-codamol maybe for a couple of days or see the GP.

pepsi Wed 17-Jun-09 18:59:00

I like the sound of the B12, I'll suggest it. She is very shy and private, as is her Mum and I dont think they have ever discussed it before. I hope for her sake that they do improve over time.

JeffVadar Thu 18-Jun-09 10:13:13

Poor thing! This does bring back memories, and I hope it settles down soon.

I swear by paracetamol and codeine mixed. you can buy it in Boots, and the Migraleve yellow tablets are the same thing but more expensive.

Ginger is also supposed to really help with the cramps. I think you can get ginger tea now, but a good ginger beer can do the trick too.

bruces Fri 19-Jun-09 13:12:26

my DD started at 11 and 1st year of period fine but then got really bad cramps and vomiting went to Drs and was prescribed Melfenamic Acid tablets, she has a packet at school and they seemed to help also she uses the thin longer night time pads which has helped with the leeking.

motherlovebone Fri 19-Jun-09 13:31:25

exercise! (not now obv. but regular exercise is a big help)

mum2RandR Fri 19-Jun-09 13:47:40

I started mine not long after my 11th birthday and had really heavy, painful periods for years. Definitely recommend nurofen if she can take them, I only discovered them a few years after I started so not sure of the age.
Also the nighttime towels are good for daytime use because there longer and you dont get the spills over the edges. Hope she finds some relief soon.x

mum2RandR Fri 19-Jun-09 13:49:07

Sorry BRUCES just read that you recommended the night time pads as well!

Scorpette Fri 19-Jun-09 15:29:35

I have appalling period pains which my Doctor says are the worst she has ever dealt with in 30 years. After much trial and error, I have come up with a 3-prong attack which works (or works 90%):
1) stick-on heat pads, which REALLY do help (some apply to your skin, some have to be applied to your undies - you need grannypants for this)
2) paracetamol and
3) Buscopan.

Now, Buscopan is sold as 'Buscopan IBS Relief'. Although it says it's for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it works to reduce all cramping below the belt. As a result, it also takes away those horrible fevery pains you can get in your back and hips, etc. It's perfectly fine to take at the same time as paracetamol, and my Doctor agrees it's a great solution. You can get it on prescription, which would be free for a girl of her age. Or you can get it on the shelves of supermarkets and Boots, etc., from the stomach probs shelves. I would recommend Buscopan to anyone who gets the radiating pain from bad cramps. A German friend told me that paracetamol and Buscopan (you can get them as one tablet over there) are the most popular form of anti-period pain approach in Germany.

Whatever she takes, I hope the poor girl gets it sorted. Hopefully, this might just be a temporary thing whilst her maturation into menstruation is kicking into gear

frAKKINPannikin Fri 19-Jun-09 15:41:26

Totally agree about the IBS meds recommendations - I have Spasfon here in France and it was a revelation. Don't know why no-one thought of it in the UK for me!

bellavita Fri 19-Jun-09 15:45:25

Oh bless her. I was around 10 when I started with my periods and they were bloody awful especially with the cramping. I remember having to wear huge pads and a belt shock`

I hope they settle down for her soon.

JoesMummy09 Fri 19-Jun-09 22:12:23

I know she's only 12, but has she tried tampons with a towel? I was 13 when I started my periods and used to have to use both together as they were so heavy. I found applicator tampons easier to manage.

Like the OP I too went on the pill (I think I was about 16) and found my periods were much lighter and have stayed lighter after coming off it.

Re pain relief I think the heat pads sound like a good idea. Certainly helped with my Braxton Hicks when pregnant! Oh, maybe a TENS machine would help?? Perhaps she could rent one to see if it works before buying.

Hope she finds something that works soon.

pepsi Sun 21-Jun-09 21:16:56

Thanks for all that I will pass it on - Im curious about the comment on regular exercise, can this really work and if so how and why.

FlappyTheBat Sun 21-Jun-09 21:20:17

Raspberry leaf tea can also help too, can also help with period pain.

There is nothing worse, hope she gets something to help her soon.

Pyrocanthus Sun 21-Jun-09 23:00:53

I agree completely about the pill - I wonder if a very few months on it would make a difference to your niece? Might be worth her mum discussing it with her gp if things don't eventually settle down of their own accord. I had anaemia in my teens because of heavy periods - worth bearing in mind if she gets very tired.

norfolklass Mon 22-Jun-09 08:57:30

Completely agree about Buscopan...its amazing stuff!! Ive got IBS and its always really bad at the same time as my period and taking Buscopan really really helps with the pain.

I actually thought I was having a really bad IBS attack when I was in labour with my DS (I know don't laugh but didn't quite know what to expect!) and took a Buscopan (GP had ok'd it to take if ibs pain was severe!) and it helped the pain so much...and DS was born about 6 hours later so it does really work!!

Your poor neice though. I was 11 when I started mine and can remember being in agony at school so can completely sympathise.

Littlepurpleprincess Mon 22-Jun-09 14:55:31

Mine were like this for years. I started when I was 13 and ended up on tablets (which name I forget) prescribed by the doctor which helped quite a bit. They got a lot better after I had DS and my mum always said that it gets easier after your first baby. This is however an extreme way to go about things wink

I'm on the pill now and it's fantastic.

I would suggest she goes to her GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now