Talk

Advanced search

ds 4 starting school in sept think hes going to hate it.....

(5 Posts)
mum2samandalex Tue 16-Jun-09 20:39:58

he didnt mind pre-school at first but now after the first year its a struggle to get him there. He just wants to stay at home with me and his baby bro. Not sure hes going to like the discipline side of things. Hes not really interested in learning. And doesnt really know his letters and can't write his own name or anything. As for toileting he has the occassional accident if hes buisy focusing on something but worst of all he cant even wipe his own bum properly.

Mutt Tue 16-Jun-09 20:43:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pigswithfludontfly Wed 17-Jun-09 10:30:44

Yes, I agree, you need a major propaganda campaign to big up school. Lots of positive chat about it. What fun it will be and how you'll have special time together after school and he can tell you all about what wonderful things he's been up to etc....

cory Wed 17-Jun-09 10:42:58

You have to tell yourself that school will be his experience; it will not be about what feelings you feel he will have. Whenever I have tried to make predictions like that about my own children, I have been wrong. For one thing, there is far less formal learning and strictness in reception than you seem to imagine. Lots of children have accidents, lots of children have trouble wiping their bum. Schools cope. And your ds will change a lot in the months before the school start.

Mrsdoasyouwouldbedoneby Wed 17-Jun-09 10:54:55

Hi
I wouldn't worry to much. Reception marks the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage (in England), and as such is much more about learning through play etc, like it is at preschool. Of course there is more structure etc, but it is usually done very gently. I also wouldn't worry about the letters/name thing. As long as he can recognise his own name it will help! Most schools prefer to teach the children their letters/sounds in their own way, so not knowing them all might be a benefit to him because they all start from scratch anyway. In fact, in my DS's school they didn't do much formal work at all for the first few weeks. I think the teachers spent a while just observing the children, and letting them settle in.
Like the other's have said, big up big school.
Another thought... the act that he is less engaged with preschool could actually be a sign he is ready for the challenge of school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now