Talk

Advanced search

ds1 - 7 - scared stiff of food

(12 Posts)
chim000 Tue 16-Jun-09 19:39:41

Until tonight I didn't realise just how bad this was. He's never been one for trying new foods and always makes a fuss if he has anything different from the usual on his plate. I just couldn't handle it at meal times and took the lazy, easy-at-the-time option of just giving chicken nuggets & chips or similar at meal times. I've very gradually been able to get him to eat an incredibly small roast dinner. But I am one of the least patient people I know so have just not had the patience to deal with it every single night. Now tonight comes and we go to his junior school open evening. They have there a selection of the school meals as they do not just go along with the generic menu set by hte council, they do their own, so I went over to the front to try some with the boys. ds1 said he didn't want to go but I took him down, by the time we reached the front of the hall he was screaming, I mean real, full on, proper screams. By the time we got to the table he was hysterical, I wanted him to come close to the table so he could see what they do but he started pulling away from me so much that I lost my grip and he landed on the floor. Seriously, you'd have thought I was trying to force him into a pit of very hungry crocodiles the way he was behaving. I picked out a few bits but he refused point blank to try them, really getting proper scared over it. They even had samples of puddings on the table including chocolate cake. I tried to get him to have some of this but even that he shrunk away from. I tried telling him it was nice and would he like a small bite but he said 'I don't know what htat white stuff is'...it was bloody icing sugar ffs. Seriously I don't know what to do. How can a child be that scared of food?

chim000 Tue 16-Jun-09 19:43:18

Blimey, sorry that's a bit of a mega-paragraph isn't it. Basically how on earth can a child become petrified of food, of being near a table of food and how the hell do I get him out of it?

chim000 Tue 16-Jun-09 20:58:39

bump

chim000 Wed 17-Jun-09 10:20:01

bumping again - anyone got any ideas or advice please?

spinspinsugar Wed 17-Jun-09 12:36:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spinspinsugar Wed 17-Jun-09 12:38:01

chim000 Wed 17-Jun-09 15:43:54

He just said the only reason he behaved like that was because he doesn't want 'hot dinners'. He doesn't want them becasue 'I don't like 'em'. I will have a look at the other thread this evening once they are in bed.

I was talking to my boyfriend last night about it and it had me thinking about why he is like it. When he was little xp used to force feed him sad sad angry. I remember I used to scream at him not to, but in teh end I had to always stay out of the room cos he wouldn't stop. Could this have an effect on him now? I know it has an effect on me although I've only just realised it, but I've been thinking about it a lot today. sad

screamingabdab Wed 17-Jun-09 17:45:01

chim000 To answer your question, kids can have food phobia, and I would strongly suggest you go to your GP and ask for a referral to see a Clinical Psychologist (Tanya Byron from House of Tiny Tearaways is a Clin Psych, in case you are not sure what they do).

Good luck. My DS1 also has issues with new foods, although I have been able to sort it without outside help. If it persisted to the age your DS is, I wouldn't hesitate to get help.

screamingabdab Wed 17-Jun-09 17:46:09

And yes, I'd say the force-feeding was an issue. sad

screamingabdab Wed 17-Jun-09 17:52:44

Just to say, a Clin. Psych would look at the history, and probably treat using a cognitive behavioural approach, as mentioned by spinspinsugar above.

x

spinspinsugar Wed 17-Jun-09 22:27:11

annoyedmum Wed 17-Jun-09 23:32:49

House of tiny tearaways used to have children with food phobia on quite often,also featured on a few episodes of freaky eaters.

There was a really lovely young man on freaky eaters whose parents had shouted/harangued him as a toddler at mealtimes and he couldn't eat any hot food AT ALL and he was 22..Part of the help involved throwing water or something at a model of his dad and shouting out how it had made him feel.

From what I remember on HOTT the approach tended to be centred around taking pressure off the child to eat[not standing over them,watching,or nagging etc] and praising for attempts at eating food even small licks/bites.

Also the child buying food and handling food at home~chopping it up etc before trying to improve the eating problem itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now