Talk

Advanced search

Crawling, pulling up to stand- but won' t sit up at 7 1/2 months! Strange?

(7 Posts)
Suzanne219 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:37:13

Hi there,

My seven and a half month old son can crawl and has just started pulling himself up to stand. He's been able to do mini push-ups from very early (3 weeks!) and was rolling over very early on, commando crawling at about 5 months.

But he doesn't sit up! He just doesn't want to and can't do it without wobbling over. His head control is good, though (he's taking solids and sits fine in a high chair.)

Is this unusual? (First baby, as if you couldn't tell!)

Thanks.

Ceebee74 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:40:16

DS1 rolled over at 18 weeks, started commando crawling at 7 months.....and eventually sat up steadily/without support at 9 months grin

I think the early 'movers' spend so much time moving/on their tummies etc that they don't get to practice sitting up as much iyswim.

Now DS2 is a whole different story - is now 7 months old, has rolled over onto his front a grand total of 3 times, shows no signs of any movement whatsoever and can't sit up either grin

Suzanne219 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:53:37

Thanks, Ceebee74. I think I have been reading too many 'developmental milestones' sites. grin I didn't realise how different babies are- and how they do things at different rates. My image was one of linear development but that just doesn't seem to be the case...?

BriocheDoree Tue 16-Jun-09 11:55:52

Yep, my DS crawled at 7 months, didn't sit till 9 months then didn't walk until 22 months! I guess he was just very happy crawling!
(At 2 he's running all over the place BTW)

BriocheDoree Tue 16-Jun-09 11:56:50

Oh yeah, and DD sat 7 mos, crawled 8 mos, walked 13 mos...and is the one with a developmental delay, so go figure!!

Ceebee74 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:57:24

Absolutely right - it is not linear at all.

You obviously have an active boy who prefers to be moving to sitting still....just like my DS1 (and I won't go on to give you the 'fun' details of what he is like now he is nearly 3 grin)

Suzanne219 Tue 16-Jun-09 12:03:39

Thanks Brioche (and your username has made me hungry now!) That's really reassuring.

Ceebee- a friend of mine has a 3 year old who sounds like your DS1...'fun' times indeed! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now