Talk

Advanced search

7mo old waking in the night STARVING hungry

(3 Posts)
belinda31 Mon 15-Jun-09 10:47:55

My 7 month old was sleeping through the night pretty well (waking at 6am, having been put to bed about 7/7.30ish but not waking in between) until about 3 weeks ago. It was warm where we were and he started waking up very very hungry/thirsty at 4am ish (or 2 or 5), and downed up to 10oz of milk (unheard of, he normally takes maximum of 6oz) and eventually fell back to sleep. Since then he's doing it more and more and more - last night he woke at 4am and yelled for milk and we eventually got back to sleep just before 6.

I tried giving him water, which he did drink but it didn't stop him crying. He's never greedy/hungry during the day, but at night he goes for the bottle teat like he's desperate for it with his head shaking frantically and then downs it in about 2 minutes.

During the day he eats three meals, and has milk four times, but eats very little food (normally drinks 20-25oz milk) - I weaned him early-ish (about 20 weeks) on the advice of a health visitor, because he would never take enough milk. It helped and he increased his milk intake and was pretty keen on food initially but since then it's waned a lot. Most meals he takes about 5 spoonfuls happily then gives up and then it's a battle to get any more into him - and he's very fussy, only likes things from packets and only very wet purees. He does like finger food, but mostly he just pulps it up and spits it out!

It's throwing everything into disarray, this midnight feasting - he's then not hungry for breakfast, and then lunch is a battle as he just wants milk, and then supper is fraught as I'm trying to load him up to last the night...and then we're exhausted during the day (i know it's not as bad as some/most babies, but when you've had it all sorted and then it goes wrong, it's awful!)

Do you have any advice?

- Am I making a rod for our backs by feeding him in the night?
- What could I do instead of feeding him, rocking/singing/mobiles seem to do nothing, and I feel that if he's hungry surely I ought to just feed him!
- is this something that happens a lot? (he's not crawling yet but is changing a lot at the moment, babbling frantically and trying to stand up all the time. He has got no teeth yet but has been 'teething' for months!)
- In the last 24 hours he's drunk almost 40oz of milk, and had three very small meals. My book says 20oz is enough!
- How can i get him more interested in solids and less in milk - or shoudl I just not bother and hope it's a phase!!

Thanks in advance!

bearhug Mon 15-Jun-09 13:01:58

Hi, it's hard isn't it, these unscheduled nightly wakings when you thought you had it all sorted? My DS started waking for a feed at 4 AM again as well, then doesn't really want breakfast. No idea how to sort this, but I would just say you might be better off posting on the Breast/bottle feeding page, as that is where the experts hang out...

onepieceofcremeegg Mon 15-Jun-09 13:07:17

I think (but am not an expert) that from 6-12 months the milk should still be the main part of the baby's intake. Food is just for tastes/fun/getting used to eating. The type of food most babies (including yours) eat at this stage is very low fat, low cal type stuff like pureed fruit, tiny amounts of cereal (or the finger food equivalents for those that do blw)

I do sympathise, our dd2 was a very wakeful baby and was still having a night feed until over a year. To some extent you might want to ignore "the book" - whichever book it is.

If I was in your position I would just gently try and shift his milk drinking times. e.g. if he isn't interested in breakfast then give breakfast later. Good luck, there are no easy solutions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now