Talk

Advanced search

Large babies......

(15 Posts)
khartnett Mon 15-Jun-09 10:26:51

Hello all i'm new to mumsnet.

My 6 month old boy is nearly in 9-12 month clothes, does anyone else have a big baby?

I am wondering weather to speak to someone, when i last saw health visitor a few months ago he was bigger than average then but she said dont worry he will burn the weight off when crawling/walking.

Help! Love to hear back from you. x

mistlethrush Mon 15-Jun-09 10:28:53

My 1mo went into 3 - 6mo clothes, and into 6-9mo at 4mo etc. He's above average but not outstandingly so now. If hv says OK, I wouldn't worry.

Worrier28 Mon 15-Jun-09 10:32:26

My baby was born 7lbs12 and when I got him weighed at 7 weeks and 2 days he was nearly 12lbs, the hv seemed to be implying I am feeding him to much. He is bottle fed on demand and I feed him when he wants it. He is 10 weeks today and 0-3 months clothes are a bit snug. I'm guessing from these posts it is normal? Dreading weighing him again.

bellavita Mon 15-Jun-09 10:32:34

Both my boys weighed over 9lb when born. They looked like they were 3 months old when they came out grin.

I certainly would not worry, 'cos to look at them now you would never know.

DS2 is the most skinniest boy ever - and wears aged 7 trousers - he is 9 1/2 and DS1 who is 12 is still wearing aged 11 trousers.

HensMum Mon 15-Jun-09 10:33:33

My son is big. He was properly fat when he was your DS's age, big rolls of fat on his arms and legs! But he had a big appetite and didn't crawl.
He learnt to walk at 13 months and also got a bit more discerning with food and since then he's slimmed down - no more rolls of fat, but he's still chunky. He's 20months old and has been in age 2-3 clothes for a couple of months.
But my partner is built like the side of a barn, I'm not small and neither is anyone in my family - they're all rugby players!
Some people are just naturally large. I make sure that DS has a healthy diet and lots of exercise but accept that he's probably never going to thin.

mrsmortenharket Mon 15-Jun-09 10:33:58

i also wouldn't worry, sometimes the clothing sizes will differ greatly between different shops - tesco's cherokee lable seem a bit on the smaller side of the particular size, whilst adams clothes fitted dd perfectly and she got loads of wear from them xxx

Weegle Mon 15-Jun-09 10:34:06

I wouldn't worry - you get bigger and smaller babies - not all babies can be average. Like not all adults are average. DS was born 12lb 12oz - went straight in to 3-6 months clothes. He's now a perfectly proportioned, but very tall, 3 year old (wearing age 4-5/5-6 clothes!).

bellavita Mon 15-Jun-09 10:35:52

Wow Weegle, that is some weight. Actually when DS1 was born at 9.4 he was the smallest on the ward!

mrsmortenharket Mon 15-Jun-09 10:36:46

shock wow am stuck for words

khartnett Mon 15-Jun-09 10:42:37

Thanks for all the replys girls, feel much better now. He was 8lb when he was born i breastfed until he was 3 months, then had to put him on hungery baby milk as he was soooo demanding and nothing was filling him up.

Hes been doing well on that and is such a happy baby he only crys when hes hungery.

He is on solids now.

They say no two babies are the same, that is so true my little girl was a dear little thing at that age.

mrsmortenharket Mon 15-Jun-09 10:47:35

khartnett i think i may have known you from before (tis i, fm!)

not sure now tho grin

khartnett Mon 15-Jun-09 12:12:49

where from mrsmortenharket?

mrsmortenharket Mon 15-Jun-09 15:57:44

possibly the barrrrr?
<racks memory trying to remember wheregrin>

used to be fransmom if that's any help?

mrsmortenharket Tue 16-Jun-09 10:26:32

erm, i think i may have got you mixed up with someone else blush

Lizzylou Tue 16-Jun-09 10:31:38

Don't worry, we were looking at photos of DS1 a few weeks ago and couldn't believe he was so massive.
He was 8lb 13oz born but put on a pound a week once he was about 3 weeks old. We completely skipped the 6-9mths clothes bracket. He looked 12mths old when he was 6mths. He walked at 11mths and now, at age 5 is so skinny (despite having such a big appetite).
DS2 was 10lb 11oz born (and I thought that was huge, weegle, respect!) but gained weight slower so was actually smaller and weighed less than DS1 at 3mths. He is still a chunky 3yr old despite not having much of an appetite.
As you say, they are all different and a big baby doesn't necessarily mean a big child.

OOh, scrummy chubby baby thighs though...and pudgy hands....<sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now