Talk

Advanced search

umbilical hernia?

(7 Posts)
SalBySea Sun 14-Jun-09 22:50:00

at my son's 8 week check the doctor said he had an umbilical hernia.

my GP is a ** who clearly hates his job and in particular babies (and their parents) and would not elaborate further than to point at it and say "It'll probably resolve itself". He wanted us out the door ASAP and I had picked another battle (that thrush exists and that fluconozole treats it)

so that's all I know about it, its there and it'll probably resolve itself

what else do I need to know about it? is there anything I need to watch out for etc?

neolara Sun 14-Jun-09 23:05:12

I think my dd had one of these when she was born. Is this where there is a sort of gap under the tummy button and something pushes out of this gap so the tummy button protrudes? If so, I was told that provided I could push the lump back in again easily it is not a problem. However, if I ever couldn't push it back in again (very unlikely), then it would be an emergency and I should take my dd to A & E asap. However, it would be obvious that something was up because it would be causing a lot of pain so she would be screaming her head off.

It did resolve itself within a few months and now (aged 4) dd has a neat little 'innie". Apparently, there can be a genetic link. I think some of my nephews and neices also had this.

nmt Thu 18-Jun-09 22:27:27

My boy was born with one of these (loads of info can be found if you google it). The most important thing is to see the gp if your child goes a long(er than normal) period without pooing.

I first asked my hv about it and she told me the above and to keep my eye on it til 12 months. At his 8 week checkup the doc said he would need an operation to fix it but it has now fixed itself completely (at 6 months)

The pooing is the thing to watch

PracticalCat Mon 22-Jun-09 17:40:13

DS just had a little cherry which slowly deflated and was gone by four months. I didn't like it initially, but barely noticed it as time went on.

They're usually harmless, but keep an eye on it because in rare cases they can become complicated.

Neo is right, it should be flexible - you should be able to move it in if you gently push it. We were told that in some kids it can take up to five years to deflate (and still remain harmless).

JollyPirate Mon 22-Jun-09 17:49:05

My DS (now 6) had a huge umbilical hernia which looked awful whenever he cried or got upset. When he was about 7 months it just decreased over a matter of weeks until it had gone. Never caused any problems.

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 22-Jun-09 17:51:22

ds1 had one of these. it looked bloody AWFUL for about a year but then got much less prominent. He still (age 10) has an odd little belly button grin but he's had no problems.

I do remember that when he was born they said that it should sort itself out (apparently they normally do) but if not, he could have a little op.

SusieDerkins Mon 22-Jun-09 17:55:55

Ds2 had one (he was prem). I went to see the GP because his tummy button was sticking out really far (well over half an inch). The GP wouldn't refer him for surgery and said it would resolve itself in a year. Utter shite. Ds2 is 3.7 now and still has a massive outie which he hates. I know it's not important in the scheme of things but he really hates it and is becoming very self conscious about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now