Talk

Advanced search

Strategies for DS behaviour at home

(5 Posts)
sobeda Sat 13-Jun-09 21:13:50

My DS is 6 (siblings are DD8, DS3). He is extremely bright (in year 1 but doing year 4 maths etc) and generally a kind, gentle and well liked child. Lately we have been struggling with his behaviour at home (he is perfect at school and with his nanny of course). It seems to me he might be bored and acts up to get attention. Acting up is reasonably minor - whining, trying to irritate siblings, criticising how I've done things, protesting over every request etc. It is so out of character for him that I am quite perplexed. I have tried giving him lots of positive attention and focusing on the times it is just him and me. I have also tried withholding benefits. Any other ideas? Many thanks.

lljkk Sun 14-Jun-09 12:18:33

imho, all kids act up to get attention, whether they're bright or not.
It may seem out of character, but he's growing up and changing and will present new challenges to your parenting as you get older.

Have you tried more one-to-one time with him? What about sports/bonding activities with other boys.

sobeda Sun 14-Jun-09 20:10:53

Thanks, I have thought about more 'boy' things - but when I suggest soccer, taekwondo etc he says no thanks. His favourite after school club is cooking, but I do think he is getting 'antsy' and could do with more running around.

nannynick Sun 14-Jun-09 20:34:48

Not all boys like boy things... I've always hated football!

You need to be firm and consistent. Decide what you will and won't tolerate and stick with it.

Exercise can help... it need not be playing football, walking is fine. Children I feel just need to get out of the house. He may have some ideas for places he wants to go - walks in the countryside, in the park, around the shops even (if he likes computers, then he may like looking around shops which sell computers, even if he doesn't get to buy anything).

Get him to help with cooking... as it is his favourite school club, he may enjoy helping with food preparation.

lljkk Mon 15-Jun-09 17:48:05

Beavers? Multisports? Steam engine and other museums just you two go together? Children with siblings ADORE time alone with one or both parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now