Talk

Advanced search

What's an average age for knowing colours and numbers up to ten?

(26 Posts)
hophophippidtyhop Sat 13-Jun-09 20:35:20

Just wondering really. DD 22mo has just started to identify colours in the last couple of weeks, She knows about 6, and has been able to count haphazardly to 10 for about a month. She's quite a babbly chatterbox and I thought this was about average.
I put most of it down to probably letting her watch too much mickey mouse clubhouse, where they're forever counting, and brown bear being one of her favourites. Mil seems to find it astonishing, but I'm putting that down to not a lot of toddler contact in the last 20 years! Though it does make us laugh when she tries to test dd and asks'"what colour is this, is it orange?"!
Only asking as I'm not keen on the way mil is trying to make out dd is some kind of genius, when I think it's just normal!

JodieO Sat 13-Jun-09 20:36:30

Sounds normal to me. Ds2 is 2 and he's been doing the same for ages now.

KittyWalker Sat 13-Jun-09 20:38:13

DD was about the same age. DS was a bit later with the numbers but could tell us the colour of cars from about 2.

Every time we visited my dear old nan with DD she always used to say "isn't she advanced for her age?", every single time, we started taking bets on how soon she would say it grin.

Sometimes she would follow it with "you can tell she spends alot of time with her dad" hmm

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 20:38:21

I think its quite bright
but not totally sure tbh

gecko can count to ten, well she can say the numbers in the right order up to ten and actually point ot and count about 3 or 4

she knows a few colours and all the names of the colours

she is 2.4

I think at your dds age thats very good

very bright little girl I reckon

but tell your mil to get over it, they all even out ish pretty much by 5
smile

SingingBear Sat 13-Jun-09 20:38:35

Message withdrawn

sunburntats Sat 13-Jun-09 20:45:30

normal, we counted the stairs from very early age so counting came quickly, colours soon followed.
peers were the same.

pippylongstockings Sat 13-Jun-09 20:48:51

It's so hard to compare - my DS2 is 2.5 and knows how to count to 10 all his colours apart from red/blue ? So could he be colour blind?

But we have a friend whose little boy in 3 weeks younger and couldn't string a 5 words together in a sentence let alone count.

It's a hard thing not too compare but they are all very different.

TeenyTinyToria Sat 13-Jun-09 20:51:12

Ds is 2.3 and has known all colours since about 2. He also knows the names of all the numbers up to about twenty, but not all in the right order, although he will randomly count 12, 13, 14, 15, 20 and so on. He understands amounts and counting how many of something up to about 2 or 3, and he can negotiate "5 more minutes" instead of 2 or 3. Think it's about average.

TheyCallMeLofty Sat 13-Jun-09 20:55:25

DD is 19 months and can tell point to various body parts (head, nose, mouth, belly, hands, feet, ears, eyes, face, bottom) but I find it really difficut to teach her colours, she doesnt seem to pick it up - is it something that gets easier as they get a bit older?

Guitargirl Sat 13-Jun-09 20:57:56

Pippy - it really is impossible to compare. DD also 2.5 can count to fifteen in English and ten in her second language (DP's mother tongue). She knows colours and shapes. She's been able to do this since before she was 2 BUT she doesn't speak in recognisable sentences at all except for little set 'phrases' that she hears us saying like, 'Don't worry, DS, I'm coming', 'What's wrong?' and 'Wait a minute'. We are actually thinking about taking her to a drop-in speech therapist session as all the other children her age seem to be chatting away having full conversations.

pippylongstockings Sat 13-Jun-09 21:20:45

I agree - don't compare it's such a broad range of skills.

hophophippidtyhop Sat 13-Jun-09 21:41:25

I thought it was about average. Not really worried about comparing, as they all do some things quicker, some slower. I hate the jumping on something as being 'quick' or 'intelligent' thing - whilst we praise her for things she does, I don't believe in overstating her abilities. Whilst she's too young to grasp that at the moment, I don't want any fallout of her thinking she's not living up to expectations later on.
Lofty, the colour thing just clicked one day, When we stand in the shops near the bags of sweets she points at them and says,"yellow{m&ms} red {malteasers} and daddy at the minstrels - he often comes home with a bag of them!

TheyCallMeLofty Sat 13-Jun-09 22:44:31

Thanks hophop, I thought maybe one day it would just click.

I like the idea of counting the stairs, I'll try that

Catz Sat 13-Jun-09 23:00:37

Grandparents are great for spotting 'really advanced' grandchildren aren't they. My PIL came up and explained to me in hushed tones that they thought DD was 'exceptionally bright' when she was 14 wks because of the way she was looking around her! Naturally I called Mensa the moment we got home! Yes, DD is the first grandchild.

FWIW DD about the same age as yours and has been able to count to ten for quite a while and could 'read' the numbers 1-10 from about 18 months (not something I would teach her, they did it at nursery). Colours have been a bit more haphazard, I think she first started having a go at them about 17 mnths as she was obsessed with the lights at Christmas, but has only become reliable at most colours in the last couple of months.

Totally agree on the not wanting to create expectations front. DD is the only grandchild on both sides so we constantly get the high expectation comments. She's still very young but I'm trying to dampen it down now before she starts to understand what they are on about. 'Tis all very silly.

seeker Sat 13-Jun-09 23:06:36

And remember there is a difference between saying the words one, two, three etc and actually counting. Generally that comes later.

plonker Sun 14-Jun-09 00:06:20

My mum had all my dd's down for MENSA by the time they were 6 week old - they were so alert, so lively, so ... wink

Your dd sounds delightful and it's great that she can do all those things - let her grandparents be proud smile

plonker Sun 14-Jun-09 00:08:05

Oh yes seeker - my dd (23mo) can 'count' to twenty and when you ask her how many XXX she's got, she has invariably got "2" grin

seeker Sun 14-Jun-09 00:12:10

My dd said "Nine" whenever you asked her any questions with numbers in it for ages. So if you said "DD, what's 81 divided by 9?" or "Dd, what's 3 squared?" she's always get it right! It was very entertaining to do this in public, ans see the heads spin to see the mathematical prodigy!

plonker Sun 14-Jun-09 00:13:09

lmao - will try that one! grin

hophophippidtyhop Sun 14-Jun-09 06:27:03

Catz, that's exactly what I mean,when you say about dampening it down before she gets what they're on about,. That's why I asked as we're seeing them later and I thoughtI could say "actually,it's quite average, I asked mumsnet"! AS I said originally, she's obsessed with mickey mouse clubhouse and they're always do numbers and colours on there!

Tambajam Sun 14-Jun-09 06:49:48

In my experience she's average on the numbers (listing the names of the numbers if not actually counting) and a bit ahead on the colours for her age.

StealthPolarBear Sun 14-Jun-09 07:26:46

Ds is just over 2 and can "count" to six but is only just getting to grips with pointing to stuff as he counts - the link between what he's reciting and the things on the page isn't really there yet iyswim. He always gets colours right...as long as you only ask about red things

nappyaddict Fri 19-Jun-09 15:11:55

DS is 2 and has been able to count to 10 for ages if you prompt him so go wwww, tuh, thhhh, ffff, ffff, ssss, ssss, ayyy, nnnn, tuh iyswim but he can't do it unprompted and is 3 next wednesday. Similarly he knows all the names of the colours and sometimes gets them right but also frequently gets them wrong.

darcireece Fri 19-Jun-09 16:23:34

I tend to think this is actuely above average with the numbers my little girl is 3 she can say all the right numbers but not in order

posieparker Fri 19-Jun-09 16:27:19

dd1, could count in mandarin & english at 20mths. at 22mths up to 28 and 100, in tens. she is pretty normal intelligence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now